Quadb's Completely Arrogant and Pretentious Top 25 CD's Of 2006
Well, I'm stressed out. This is the time of the year when everybody and their dog starts compiling their own version of the mighty year-end 'best-of' list. I find these extremely difficult to do. First of all, I tend to look at other people's lists which leads me to the realization that although I know a lot about music when compared to some people, I know very little when compared to many many other people. Also, during compilation, I always have the sneaking suspicion that I'm forgetting something. When I composed an earlier draft for a friend that was inquiring of all his friends about their top 10's, I forgot to include Tv On The Radio. How do you forget TV On The Radio?!?!?!?! Anyways, bla bla bla, and here's my picks for the best of 2006!
This is easily the CD I've listened to most this year. It makes me smile. It chokes me up. I love it.2. DESTROYER - DESTROYER'S RUBIES (Review)

Dan Behar in all his poetic glory. I still don't know what he's talking about but it sounds great to me.
3. NEKO CASE - FOX CONFESSOR BRINGS THE FLOOD

Country tinged, whiskey-stained goodness. And that voice, holy crap that voice!
4. TOM WAITS - ORPHANS (Review)
Nothing wrong with setting aside 3 and a half hours of your time for the most consistent singer-songwriter on the planet. Mesmerizing.
You Can Never Hold Back Spring
5. PETR BJORN AND JOHN - WRITER'S BLOCK (Review)
Contains not only one, but two of the greatest songs of the year!
6. TV ON THE RADIO - RETURN TO COOKIE MOUNTAIN (Review)
They sound like no one else. No one! Truly original.
7. MIDLAKE - THE TRIALS OF VAN OCCUPANTHER (Review)
For fans of Fleetwood Mac, America, Josh Rouse's 1972 and any 70's AM Radio classic, this CD is way too good to be considered a guilty pleasure.
8. JOANNA NEWSOM - YS (Review)
Easily the most critically acclaimed album of the year...and rightfully so. Original and adventurous.
9. SERENA MANEESH - SERENA-MANEESH (Review)
A schizophrenic noisy new rock manifesto!
10. SONIC YOUTH - RATHER RIPPED (Review)
Still going strong after decades of great noise-pop. Holds up with all of their best material.
And because explanations, reasons and reviews all start to sound the same after awhile, here is the list of albums 11-25. In one way or another, these recordings all rocked my world this year. Enjoy!
11. Dead Heart Bloom - Dead Heart Bloom
12. Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out Of This Country
13. Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass
14. Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
15. Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Ballad Of The Broken Seas
16. I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness - Fear Is On My Side
17. The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
18. Zero 7 - The Garden
19. Cornelius - Sensuous
20. Sloan - Never Hear The End Of It
21. Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics
22. Paul Michel - Quiet State Of Panic
23. Pipas - Sorry Love
24. The Universe - The Outer Void Intrepid Sailor
25. Rob Szabo - Like A Metaphor
1 Comments:
Thanks for adding the Decemberists in there, I would have to put the Crane Wife in the top 10 but I'm loving your other choices, especially my man Tom. Love your site Bob - keep it up
9:52 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home