Friday, June 02, 2006

Destroyer

First off, let me start by saying that Destroyer's Daniel Bejar's lyrics are way over my head. In all honesty, I don't really know what he's talking about. However, the only thing that I understand even less is the critical interpretation of his lyrics that have been appearing in reviews all over the internet. But as far as I can tell, critics, fans and anybody who comes in contact with Destroyer's latest release "Destroyer's Rubies", has fallen in love with it. And rightfully so. If I can go against the grain and put my opinion in simple terms, I've fallen in love with this album! It's catchy, infectious, hooky and brilliant! Obviously his lyrics are somewhat abstract, but never in a way that alienates the listener (and besides, there's also enough "la-la-la's and ba-da-bah's to satisfy even the caveman mind, such as my own). Also the sound and format is so unique. For example, how often is the epic track used to kick off an album, rather than close it? But the nine minute plus opener "Rubies" is probably the best 'side one track one' I've heard in a long time. The highlight track for me is "Painter In Your Pocket". I've encountered whole albums that weren't able to give me as much variety as what can be found in that one 4 minute song. Whether you're the type who likes to dissect and analyze an interesting lyric, or you're the type who simply enjoys a catchy tune, this CD is certain to be a more than satifying listen.

Painter In Your Pocket mp3
Purchase the CD "Destroyer's Rubies" here.
My space site