Saturday, September 02, 2006

Peter, Bjorn & John - Writer's Block

A friend of mine proclaimed Peter, Bjorn and John's latest release "Writer's Block" as the greatest album of the year. And that's probably not too far from the truth. Showcasing, for the first time, the vocal and lyrical talents of all three members, this CD is very easy to listen to. The melodies and hooks are extremely catchy, particularly noticeable in the first single, "Young Folks" (featuring guest vocalist Victoria Bergsman from The Concretes), where even the whistling, something I don't usually enjoy, is just so doggone irresistible. Other highlights are the lo-fi grooviness of "The Chills", the slightly Smith-ish "Let's Call It Off" and the immensely personal and thought-provoking "Objects Of My Affection" which contains the lyrics, ”The question is, was I more alive then than I am now? I happily have to disagree; I laugh more often now, I cry more often now, I am more me”. Yes, this is another solid release, assuring me that 2006 is already another killer year in music.

Downloads:
Young Folks mp3
Objects Of My Affection mp3

Peter, Bjorn and John's myspace page
Purchase "Writer's Block" here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home