Tom Waits - Orphans
There are only two artists that make me absolutely giddy when I've heard that they've released something new. One is Peter Gabriel. The other...is Tom Waits. His new release is entitled "Orphans" and it's a massive 3 CD set of outtakes and previously unreleased material. Sort of. It has been advertised as such, but it actually includes about 30 new songs, recorded specifically for this collection. Each CD in this set is given in its own theme, which characterizes the tunes contained within.
CD 1 is entitled "Brawlers", and it contains the rockier, bluesier side of TW. It kicks off on a high note with a rockabilly number called "Lie To Me" which has Tom pulling off a little bit of an Elvis impersonation of sorts. The rest of the songs on disc one are solid, while not really mind-blowing. The only exception is "Road To Peace" a better than average protest song. I would love to share a sampling of the lyrics here, but you've just got to read the whole thing. Easily the best song on the whole set, although personally I think this is the weakest of the three discs.
CD 2 is entitled "Bawlers" and it has Tom bellowing out the ballads and weepers in a way that only his nicotine-stained lungs can. He does a great version of Frank Sinatra's "Young At Heart" that fans of ole' blue eyes will certainly find repulsive. The whole disc is top notch, with my favourite song being "Never Let Go" which is a bawler in the truest sense of the word.
"I'll dare you to dine with the cross-legged knight Dare me to jump and I will I'll fall from your grace But I'll never let go of your hand"
CD 3 is entitled "Bastards" and it is an example of the very weird and eccentric side of Tom. It contains many spoken word bits, a few jokes, a killer version of Disney's "Heigh Ho" and a song called "King Kong" which shows off the maniacal human beat box thing that he attempted on his last release "Real Gone." This disc is crazy but fantastic.
Yes, overall this CD requires about 3 hours of your listening time, but it is certainly worth it. It isn't going to bring him any new fans, but the long-timers like myself are going to love it!
Downloads: You Can Never Hold Back Spring mp3 / Road To Peace mp3 / Bottom Of The World mp3
Purchase "Orphans" here.
6 Comments:
"Isn't going to bring him any new fans?" Pretty broad assumption there. Nice.
2:45 PM
Dude, don't get me wrong...I think everyone should be a major fan of Tom and I really hope it does get him some new fans. But, truth is, the only reason I know of that people don't like him is because they have trouble getting past the voice. And his singing on this one is in full-fledge howling yelp mode. I love it but if you didn't before, you likely won't start now.
4:09 PM
I disagree. His recent performances of Lie to Me and Day After Tomorrow on the tube showcased examples of songs where he doesn't sound like a hoarse barking dog (I mean studio version-wise, certainly his rasp was in full force when he performed.) People might download those songs and go from there. And hello, Bawlers? He sounds quiet and subdued on stuff like You Can Never Hold Back Spring, Long Way Home, Shiny Things, Fannin Street, etc.
Don't underestimate the curious who will hear something about Orphans and go out and actually buy it or check out his back catalog. Just because it is this ginormous box set doesn't mean only the hardcore fans will purchase it. Certainly they will but there's a lot of variety on it that can appeal even to the uninitiated.
6:47 PM
I hope you're right. I just think he's always done those types of songs and if people didn't like it then, I don't think this collection is going to change their minds now. I'm speaking of those who have already heard his music and did not like it. This collection will likely not change their minds.
I do agree with you when you say that this may appeal to the UNINITIATED. But do you feel that there are many true music lovers out there who are truly uninitiated with Tom Waits? I don't. I just feel that the only people who will hear this are the ones who have already sought out his music in the past and formed their own conclusion. And I really don't think this CD is going to have any more mainstream exposure than any of his previous releases. Again, I hope I'm wrong but I don't think so.
7:11 PM
Yes, I see your point that many people may be familiar with Waits's status in music but conclude that the voice isn't for them.
"But do you feel that there are many true music lovers out there who are truly uninitiated with Tom Waits?"
There just might be; you never know. That's what I was pointing out in my last comment. And I was referring to the exposure the release has already gotten, which has been somewhat considerable if you seek it out. And yes, let's hope there is more of it to come.
11:46 PM
Yep, I'm with you there. And his performance on Letterman was great as well as the interview. I just find him absolutely compelling. Thanks for your comments. It's always nice to hear the viewpoints of other die hard Tom Waits fans, especially ones who are eager to step up and defend this often praised but also misunderstood genius.
1:58 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home