Sunday, November 22, 2009

Bobby B's 50 Albums Of The Decade (#20-16)

For ramblings on how I came to compile this list go here. And for commentary on previous selections: [#50-46] [#45-41] [#40-36] [#35-31] [#30-26] [#25-21]

20. Gang Of Losers - The Dears (2006)

The first time I ever saw Murray Lightburn, his band The Dears was opening for Sloan and he was wearing a t-shirt with the words PROGRESSIVE ROCK sprawled across it for all to see. Right away, I knew I'd like the guy! After that, it admittedly took a bit of time, but since then, The Dears blend of epic musical adventure and sweetly downtrodden lyrics have continued to reel me in with each subsequent release. On Gang of Losers, the grandiosity and orchestral flourishes were toned down in favor of tighter arrangements and a little bit more immediacy, but nowhere has the band sounded like they were more in charge of their sound than on here, despite all of the personal turmoil between band members that may have been taking place behind the scenes. Furthermore, the album is just so beautiful, and Murray's vocals really speak to me on this one. Knowing that he and Natalia had just given birth to their child at the time of Ticket To Immortality makes the line "the world is really gonna love you" ever more touching, as I relate it to the birth of my nephews whenever I hear it. And then there's that title track. I think that you have to be deeply and madly in love with your best friend to be touched by that song in a complete sense, and the longer you've been with that person and the more you've accomplished together as a team just makes it all the more powerful. My wife and I have been together for over 13 years now and we've adopted that song as our own (Gang of Losers? so, you think we might have some self-esteem issues?) and lyrics like "you and I are on the outside of almost everything" and "we have the same heart" cause me to well up almost every time because there truly is nothing more precious than being on a team against the world with a perfect soulmate. (OK, you guys gagging a little bit yet? Sorry, professional music journalism shall commence now...) [Myspace: The Dears]

19. The Crane Wife - The Decemberists (2006)

I don't know how Colin Meloy manages to combine pretentiously bookish lyricism with such down-to-earth amicable charm, but I just can't seem to get enough of it. He's the ultimate geek, shamelessly showcasing styles and sounds that are as decidedly uncool as it gets, which was a risky yet admirable move for a band that had just "graduated" to the major labels. From the three part out of sequence title track that is based on a Japanese folk tale to the sprawling 11 minute prog rock opus The Island, a song which would not be out of place if it were a segment of Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick, the band certainly was not bent on catering to popular opinion and the fact that they do so unapologetically is very compelling. When I listen to this album, it feels as if they're truly into what they're doing and it doesn't come across as alienation for alienation's sake. In fact, to me, the album isn't alienating at all. It's still very easy to listen to and full of hooks and melodies that help make the album simultaneously accessible and challenging. I'm also madly in love with the closing track Sons And Daughters, which boasts a singalong chorus that is pure delight when experienced in a live setting. [Myspace: The Decemberists]

18. I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning - Bright Eyes (2005)

Despite the fact that Bright Eyes places fairly high on my list on two occasions, (yes, you will be seeing them again) I wouldn't necessarily refer to myself as a huge Conor Oberst fan. His early material (circa 95-98) can be incredibly hit and miss, and at times he can be irritating (Digital Ash In A Digital Urn) and downright boring (Cassadaga) but when he gets it right, my goodness, is it ever good! If Oberst could maintain the consistency of this album throughout the course of his career, than the Dylan comparisons would be completely justified, since this album showcases some very poignant lyrics. "In this endless race for property and privilege to be won, we must run" Whew! Also, on some of his other albums, there are moments where his brand of angst seems a tad contrived, whereas on this album, it all comes across as genuine (even if, technically, it may not be.) Lua, for example, is an amazing song, where Oberst tones down his trademark quiver in favor of a subtle hush that sucks you in as you strain your ears not to miss a breath. It's in those moments that, try as I might, I cannot avoid getting the old 'chills down the spine' feel. The same can be said for Landlocked Blues, the duet with Emmylou Harris, who has apparently shared a moment with everyone on my list (see pick #30 and 41). The album ends most triumphantly with Road To Joy, which is certainly not the first song to rip off Beethoven's Ode To Joy, but never has it been done with such swirling guitared, epic sounding bravado. [Myspace: Bright Eyes]

17. Let's Get Out Of This Country - Camera Obscura (2006)

I love the way that this album makes me feel. It is a study in contrasts how the lyricism of Camera Obscura can seem so downtrodden and somber on paper, yet sound so uplifting and inspirational in my headphones. There's something about their Scottish approach to the sounds of twee, coupled with their knack for creating syrupy sweet sounding 60's inspired pop that makes me want to shuffle my feel to their music, even if Tracyanne Campbell is on the verge of crying while these songs are being belted out. This is an example of an album where the band doesn't take too many risks, but the ones that they do take sound as if they were tried and tested first so as to guarantee success. The heavy chamber pop organs, for example, that overtake songs such as Lloyd I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken and Tears For Affairs would be a bit cheesy in less calculated hands, but here they also add a necessary frivolity to the proceedings. And then there's Dory Previn, its weepy vocal being one of the most subdued, yet beautiful vocals I've ever heard. [Myspace: Camera Obscura]

16. Love Is Hell - Ryan Adams (2004)

It's funny but, although I obviously knew that I loved Ryan Adams, it didn't occur to me just how much I loved him until I started compiling this list. With three albums making the final cut (see #50 & 30) he is easily the one who is represented the most, and I swear that I did not initially plan it that way. However, when an artist releases more albums than anyone else, I suppose the odds are mathematically stacked in his favor, and it works the other way too, in the sense that there's also a handful of Adams albums that had no chance at making the final cut. Still, of all of his works, this one is my favorite and, not surprisingly, this is probably his most solemn release of them all. In fact, at first, Lost Highway didn't even want to release it as it was deemed too dark to be commercially viable, and he offered to release the sub-par Rock 'n Roll album instead. But when the compromising 2 EP's went on to actually be somewhat successful, the label conceded and the album was re-released as a full length. The album is just chock-full of delightfully damaged ditties, the best of which are This House Is Not For Sale, Anybody Want To Take Me Home and English Girls Approximately, all of which highlight some of Adams favorite themes, namely heartbreak and heartache. As far as I'm concerned, this one is a classic that should not be judged based on a brutal Pitchfork review, nor by its throwaway Oasis cover (which, incidentally is still a little bit better than the original.) [Myspace: Ryan Adams]

Tomorrow: Bobby B's 50 Albums Of The Decade (#15-11)

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger suckingalemon said...

maybe im too big a ryan adams fan that even though you've included him 3 times, i still think cold roses and jacksonville city nights belong on a best of the decade list.

8:12 AM

 
Blogger Bobby B said...

yah those are good albums too. i really like cold roses, i haven't spent a lot of time with jacksonville though, although it would likely grow on my also since most of his albums tend to do that.

4:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home