Bobby B's Top 50 Albums Of The Decade (#25-21)
For ramblings on how I came to compile this list go here. And for commentary on previous selections: [#50-46] [#45-41] [#40-36] [#35-31] [#30-26]
25. Kid A - Radiohead (2000)
While I completely understand my own enthusiasm for this album, I can't say that I really get why everyone else loves it so much. I've noticed that it's already topped some other 'best of the decade' lists and it was also Radiohead's first mainstream number one. But if this album is so commercially viable, then how come King Crimson isn't the most popular band of all time? Or how come other old school eccentricitists like Can or Van Der Graaf Generator isn't emanating out of every 14 year old girl's headphones? I'll never understand how Radiohead has done it, but I'm very glad that they have, because expanding the boundaries of what can be referred to as music is something that has been explored as far back as the early 1900's with french composer Edgar Varèse, and brought into the mainstream by the psychedelic movement of the 60's. Say what you will about Radiohead's over indulgent ways, but any band that brings a redefining of what is acceptable to the mainstream masses is worthy of our respect. And Kid A sounds awesome in headphones. [Myspace: Radiohead]
24. Destroyer's Rubies - Destroyer (2006)
So I've had just over 3 years to fully absorb Dan Bejar's way of thinking as is transmitted through his lyrical wordplay, his thoughts and transgressions along with carefully studying just how his mind works and what it is that makes him tick and I gotta say that I still don't know what the hell he's talking about. But he just sounds so dang cool when he's musing and Destroyer's Rubies continues to be an entertaining listen from start to finish. The fact that it confuses me to the point where there are many times while listening that I find myself actually laughing out loud at how bizarre his ruminations can get (i.e.-sapphires vie for your attention, cheap dancers they mean well in their way but priest says - "please, i can't stand my knees and i can't bear her raven tresses caught up in the breeze like that!" etc etc etc) is only part of its charm and I still find it most enjoyable to continue the journey to finding out what it all means. Besides, if Bejar was easier to understand, what would be the point of returning? [Myspace: Destroyer]
23. Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots - The Flaming Lips (2002)
It is a risky move to create an album that is steeped in the glory days of prog, it is an even riskier move to create an album that is steeped in the second wave and significantly lesser cool days of nouveau prog. The fact is that Wayne Coyne's musical opus about dueling futuristic robots has more in common with FM's Black Noise and ELO's Time than it does with more "respectable" acts like Pink Floyd or Can. Of course, much like my number 25 pick above, this all explains why the album is on MY personal list, but it doesn't really make sense of the fact that the public at large seemed to enjoy this album also. It's a weird one, that's for sure, with its electronic flourishes and bizarre content, and admittedly, I have to be in the mood for it. But when I am, it's an awesome sonic spectacle that reaps rewards and surprises with every listen. It's amazing, but I've listened to the album hundreds of times and there'll still be certain noises, blips, bleeps and moments of instrumentation that catches me off guard, particularly within the two major instrumental pieces, Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt 2 and Approaching Pavonis Mons by Balloon (Utopia Planitia). I also appreciate the album's lasting power, and how some of the songs that I thought were throwaways at first, have become my favorites, such as In The Morning Of The Magicians and All We Have Is Now. Stunning. [Myspace: The Flaming Lips]
22. Funeral - Arcade Fire (2004)
Ok, so this album is great and wonderful and fantastic and bla bla bla, yada yada yada. It's a great album, I get it. This one is destined to top more decade end charts than any other, and it's deserved, nobody is denying that. I do think that the accolades are a bit overblown, especially the ones where people are calling this the most original thing they've ever heard. The fact is, if you've ever listened to anything prior to this decade, than you know that not only has this sound been done before by the likes of Byrne, Bowie and others, but it's also been done better. Heck, if you really know your Canadiana, then you must've noticed how much Neighbourhood 3 (Power Out) sounds eerily similar to Rush's Red Sector A, at least at certain moments. Does that stop this from being a great album? Of course not. If you're going to emulate past artists, those are good ones to go to, even if the Rush fans and Arcade Fire fans still refuse to mingle at my parties. And as much as I hate the hype, the album is still responsible for some of my favorite musical moments of the year. The last minute breakdown of Une Anee Sans Lumiere, the woah-oh-oh's of Wake Up, the incredible lift-off of Rebellion (Lies) and the epic grandiosity of In The Backseat. So to sum up: album=great, overhype=bad. Alright? We still cool? [Myspace: Arcade Fire]
21. Boxer - The National (2007)
If ever there was an album that was a textbook example of a grower for me, this was it. At first I found it very hard to focus on. The borderline comatose slur of Matthew Berninger was consistently lulling me to the sleep, and if I wasn't such a sound sleeper then I'm sure that the blast of horns at the end of Fake Empire should have waken me with a jolt, but at first, it didn't. Then I went from easy distraction to mild intrigue, thinking that a couple of the songs were pretty dang epic before finally embracing the album as a whole the way most of my friends already had. Like most of my all time favorites, taking the time to let these recordings sink in is what eventually triggers a response within me, a response that, quite honestly leads to addiction and that's the case with Boxer, I've become addicted to it. This magnificent album is one of contrasts, as it is both comforting and alienating, political and deeply personal, melacholic and triumphant. It's a great album to put on when I'm feeling good, and it's an even better album to put on when I'm feeling lousy. That settles it, I know what I'm going to be listening to today. [Myspace: The National]
Tomorrow: Bobby B's 50 Albums Of The Decade (#20-16)
Labels: arcade fire, destroyer, flaming lips, radiohead, the national, top 50 albums of the decade
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home