Friday, April 04, 2008

Blitzen Trapper, Fleet Foxes w/Fox Jaws @ El Mocambo

I think the expression 'controlled chaos' was especially created to describe bands like Portland, Oregon's Blitzen Trapper. As I had mentioned earlier, before this week, I had not fully taken the time to digest last year's "Wild Mountain Nation," so I made a point of doing so prior to the show. It really is one heckuva CD. What strikes me as odd, is the way that every song sounds like it had been recorded by a different band, making them impossible to pigeonhole. They sound a bit like Wilco one moment, before morphing into The Dandy Warhols, and then liquefying into T-Rex. It's a delightfully tumultuous sound that I personally find immensely gratifying. The concert left me feeling the same way. Often times they'll hop genres right in the middle of a song, keeping the audience in rapt attention of their every move. The band was also very funny. I particularly enjoyed watching the drummer beat the snot out of his already damaged and badly bent cymbal. Guitarist Marty Marquis' Alpha Flight t-shirt also elicited quite a response. I nearly spit my beer all over the stage when an audience member yelled out "Captain Canuck!!" Ahh, Captain Canuck. That crappy comic book really takes me back I tell ya. The highlight was watching the band call up all of the other bands of the evening together to join in a rambunctious
version of their own 'Woof & Warp of the Quiet Giant's Hem.' (What a terrific song title 'eh?) You've never seen a tiny stage filled with more tambourine pounding and maraca shaking individuals in your life. Awesome!

Photos: My pics of Blitzen Trapper @ El Mocambo on flickr
Download: Wild Mountain Nation mp3
Myspace: Blitzen Trapper
Video: Woof and Warp of the Quiet Giant's Hem on youtube

Interestingly, the largest attendance of the night seemed to be for Seattle's Fleet Foxes, who are the one band that I hadn't heard of. They were the most subdued act of the night, but they blew my mind just the same. I had indicated earlier that, from what I had sampled, they reminded me a bit of My Morning Jacket. I still hold to that comparison (sorta) but it's the vocals that really make them unique. The show started with them singing unaccompanied; their five part harmonies keeping everyone spellbound. Or is it four part harmonies? (I don't know harmony) Still, those angelic vocals are showcased throughout their set, giving their music a solemnity that helps them rise above your typical folk rock sound. The fact that many were obviously there to see them, seemed to sincerely shock the band. They mention that they'll be back again sometime this summer, and I'm sure that their fan base will have increased exponentially by then.

Photos: My pics of Fleet Foxes @ El Mocambo on flickr
Download: White Winter Hymnal mp3
Myspace: Fleet Foxes
Video: Dreams (Fleetwood Mac Cover) youtube

Opening the evening was Fox Jaws. What can I say about Fox Jaws that I haven't already said before? The show was killer, as per usual, but I can't wait until I actually get to see them at a venue with good lighting. Technically there wasn't one salvageable picture in the lot. You see, crappy camera plus bad lighting minus distracting flash equals worst concert pictures ever! Either I've got to get a better camera or they have got to play at better lit venues. Personally I think the onus should be on them because I'm just a struggling journalist, whereas they are clearly the big shot rock stars. Jokes. (BTW, the video link below shows that they have played The Mod Club which is easily the coolest lit venue in the city)

What I always love about seeing Fox Jaws is the good time enthusiasm that they display on stage. Carleigh Aikins' soulful voice sounded as smoky delicious as ever, and I don't believe they have ever sounded tighter. I can't wait until they release another CD. "Goodbye Doris" is still on regular rotation for me, and with the amount of stuff I listen to these days, that's saying a lot.

Photos: My lousy shots of Fox Jaws @ El Mocambo are on flickr
Download: Karmonica mp3 / Quarantine Girl mp3
Myspace: Fox Jaws
Video: Warm Winter Coats @ Mod Club on youtube

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Allan said...

I plan to see the Fleet Foxes when they come at a better time. School sucks...

4:55 AM

 
Blogger Bobby B said...

I hope you do, cuz they are awesome!

5:06 AM

 
Blogger The R.O.B. said...

I hadn't heard of Fleet Foxes either until a few weeks ago when Allan posted on them... I did a little research (I googled them), and figured out that all this attention is due to an insanely good Pitchfork review...

Would you really recommend Fox Jaws? I thought Carly Atkins? has an unbelievable set of pipes/charisma, but the music doesn't really suit her voice... I think she'd be better off with a band like 'The Gossip'...

7:49 AM

 
Blogger Bobby B said...

I've heard others express similar views. I think it's the unusual pairing of Carleigh's voice and their brand of straight forward hooky indie pop that make their music so appealing to me. I've heard bluesy, soulful outfits with her type of smoky vocals before, but I find the Fox Jaws have sort of an 'opposites attract' appeal for me. (I do think a "The Gossip" type band would make an interesting side project for Carleigh though.)

12:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fleet Foxes reminds me if Grizzly Bear. Grizzly Bear is a bit more aggressive though. They have very similar qualities to each other. Especially their harminizination

9:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home