Sunday, September 16, 2007

Numbers & Figures, Fox Jaws & Entire Cities @ Rancho Relaxo

Two-Way Monologues hosted, what I would refer to, as possibly the best bill I've seen all year in terms of local area talent. Three highly above average bands all joined forces for a show that could be described as nothing short of spectacular.

As the crowds slowly started crawling in, Numbers and Figures opened the show with an explosive set of indie-rock exuberance. These guys take me back to some of the indie bands I used to really enjoy when I first started obsessively trying to discover indie bands. They have such a wide-eyed enthusiasm for what they're doing that one can't help but be impressed with their performance. The music is raw and articulate, and the crowd had no problem chanting and clapping to the refrain "I am not scared of growing old, I am not scared of dying!" As for me, I'm already growing old and if I were to die listening to the chronically catchy sounds of Numbers and Figures, that'd be totally cool with me. (Wow, could that have been cornier!)

Pics: Numbers and Figures @ Rancho Relaxo flickr
Myspace: Numbers and Figures
Video: I Am Not Afraid Of The Monsters Living Under My Bed (live at Lions Hall) youtube
Purchase: The Parable Of The Broken Window at The Meadows Collective online store

And the award for best semi-local live act I've seen this year goes to .... Fox Jaws from Barrie, Ontario. The buzz surrounding this band has been phenomenal and their debut CD "Goodbye Doris" (as in Doris Day, as in their previous band name, as in "Hello Lawsuit") has also been receiving rave reviews all across the board. Their live show is stellar, and even at a smaller venue like Rancho Relaxo, they performed as if they were auditioning to be the greatest band in the world ever! Lead vocalist Carleigh Aikins has such an atomic presence onstage that it caused my adrenalin to rush just watching her and by the time the show was done I had felt like I just ran a marathon (but in a good way.) I remember the euphoric feeling I felt the first time I saw Broken Social Scene on Toronto Island about three or four years ago, and I'm pretty sure that the Fox Jaws have the potential to evoke the same feelings in a similar setting. I look forward to following their activity even more closely than I already have been, as they slowly become one of my favourite bands in the indie scene today.

Pics: Fox Jaws @ Rancho Relaxo flickr
Download: Karmonica mp3 / Quarantine Girl mp3
Myspace: Fox Jaws
Video: Warm Winter Coats (live at Mod Club) youtube
Purchase: Goodbye Doris at their online store

Entire Cities are the craziest thing I've ever seen. That's not a criticism however, just a comment. They were so completely scattered and insane, yet compelling and way more fun than a small group of elitist indie snobs could ever admit to enjoying. Boasting a band lineup that is only slightly smaller than an actual entire city, I think they've had a few member changes recently, because there were people on that stage that I didn't see in any of their press photos. But they were simply having a random old time on stage, whether it be toilet papering the flute player or spontaneously shout-reciting the titles of every Rush album from 1974 to 1981. Their music alternated from the slightly twangy to school time singalong to psychedelic reverb to being nice and pretty. Entire Cities got it all, and their show is perfect for those who strive to see something completely different. They were an excellent choice to cap off the evening and I feel privileged to have been introduced to the TWM showcase. I'll certainly be attending them on a regular basis whenever possible. (I hear there are some pretty impressive artists on the next bill. Wanna know who? No, I can't....)

Pics: Entire Cities @ Rancho Relaxo flickr
Download: Dancing With My Brother mp3 / Coffee mp3
Myspace: Entire Cities

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home