Sunday, September 23, 2007

Okkervil River w/Damien Jurado @ Lee's Palace

Yay for bands like Okkervil River. I've seen many highly energetic youthful bands this year (including Mystery Jets just the night before,) and although there's something to be said about the contagious zeal they portray, nothing quite compares to the talent and showmanship of a seasoned band like Okkervil.

Will Sheff joked about losing momentum early when he wasn't sure whether or not his guitar was in tune, but the thrill of hearing an opener like "Plus Ones" surely more than makes up for any technical glitches that may appear along the way. An album like "The Stage Names" is tailor-made for the live stage, and the band rocked their way through those songs with style and charisma. And "John Allyn Smith Sails" sounded just as epic live as I suspected it would. Speaking of epic, it was however, the songs they played from "Black Sheep Boy" and older releases that sounded really impressive. "So Come Back, I Am Waiting (Black Sheep Boy II)" was one of those performances that had me checking if I still had a pulse when it was finished. I just stood there mesmerized at the brilliance of that song, and I'm glad that I finally got to hear it live. During the encore, Will gave us a comical anecdote concerning typical band vehicle troubles, and how their rented van could not hold all of their instruments so they had to leave the accordion behind. The accordion they used during "Okkervil River Song" was rented at a shop nearby, and judging by the wrapping, the band assumed that this was the maiden voyage of that accordion. It sounded sweet.

Photos: Okkervil River @ Lee's Palace flickr
Download: Our Life Is Not A Movie Or Maybe mp3
Myspace: Okkervil River
Videos: Our Life Is Not A Movie Or Maybe youtube / For Real youtube

Seattle's Damien Jurado opened the show, and did an admirable job but boy, did I feel sorry for him. Sometimes Toronto audiences can be very disrespectful, and Damien spent most of his performance battling against their endless chattering and mindless heckles. I suppose this just wasn't the right crowd for his style of laid back but beautiful indie folk rock. However, even during Okkervil River's performance, Will had to tell the audience to 'shush' at one point, and made it clear that the song was not going to continue until they do. And for the first time in history it worked! As far as Damien goes, his last Toronto experience resulted in him having his van broken into, so I doubt that this time around he'll be leaving with a better taste in his mouth. It would be nice to see him perhaps under different circumstances next time. Full marks for soldiering forth anyways, keeping as positive attitude as possible, communicating with the ones who were appreciative and putting on a very decent show.

Photos: Damien Jurado @ Lee's Palace flickr
Downloads: What Were The Chances mp3
Myspace: Damien Jurado
Videos: Lion Tamer youtube

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home