Thursday, September 20, 2007

Me? Elitist? Naahhhhh........

The elitist music snob. A very unique breed indeed. Every once in a while, a music snob will get accused for disliking something simply because it's popular or mainstream. If I had a dime for every time someone has made such an accusation against me, I would've had enough money to go to V-Fest last weekend and Broken Social Scene presents Kevin Drew at the end of the month. Fact is, I like what I like because I like it. Get it? And I hate what I hate because I hate it. It's really that simple.

It's interesting that, since the words "hate" and "band" are both in the title of this blog, many people are forwarded here by googling expressions like "I hate Joanna Newsom." When they realize that I actually love Joanna Newsom, these people who have nothing better to do than scour the web for other people that hate their personally hated artists deem it necessary to unleash their evil and angry rants upon me. I find this highly amusing.

As far as the bands I hate, there are some bands that I could give you an alphabetized list of reasons why I hate them. I could also give you a long list of reasons why everybody else should really hate them too. But then there are also several artists that I dislike, but can really give no other reason for this other than personal preference. Recently, a friend mentioned to me that he hated The Jayhawks. When I asked him why, he replied, "Because they suck." Well, I've seen them perform and they clearly do not suck. They may not be your cup of meat, but to say they suck would imply that they lack talent in their musical field, and all the evidence points to the contrary. As a personal example, I really don't care for Bruce Springsteen. I personally find it hard to get past his voice. Mary Hart is to Kramer, as Springsteen is to me. That having been said however, I would never be so dense so as to say that he stinks, simply because I don't like him. His contribution to music is undeniable, and he's inspired and touched many of the artists that I personally enjoy (such as Ryan Adams, Elvis Costello and Bright Eyes.) His voice just gives me a rash, that's all.

So does that exclude me from the tag of prototypical elitist music snob? Don't know. Don't particularly care, to be honest. But although this blog is labeled as being both arrogant and pretentious, you will never hear me say that an artist stinks or that he is terrible without some form of justifiable reasoning. (You will also never HEAR me say that, because this is a visual blog, not an audio blog. My choice of wording sometimes....now there's something to rant about!) You will however, see, from time to time, that I do very strongly dislike several artists. Remember, that there is a huge difference between saying "such and such is garbage" as opposed to "I don't like such and such." I am opinionated, there's no doubt about that. But what I write here is strictly that ... an opinion. I never claim to actually know what I'm talking about.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Justin Beach said...

These days being a "Music Snob" or an "Elitist" are apparently good things - I hear those types of expressions most often from people who like Brittney Spears and watch things like "the Bachelor".

In the old days being an "Elitist" meant that you only liked classical music and opera, that the only books you liked were at least 100 years old, that you generally didn't like film, or television but would occasionally take in a play if it was Shakespear or based on one of those 100 year old books.

It seems now "Elitist" means that you have some taste and don't base your opinions on "Entertainment Tonight". Welcome to the club.

8:59 AM

 
Blogger Bobby B said...

I'm sorry but I think you're wrong!

Just kidding. Thanks man.

9:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home