Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Editors: An End Has A Start

Joy Division seems to be the band to emulate these days. The problem is that most of these bands aren't any good at it. Or they start good and then get boring. Editors is one of those bands that get lumped into the Joy Division army. They're pretty good. However, I personally don't think there's anything Joy Divisionish about them. I suppose Tom Smith's voice has a slight Ian-ness to it but musically, I'm hearing a definite early U2 vibe. Their new release is entitled "An End Has A Start" and despite the truly painful album title, the CD is actually quite good. Not as good as "The Back Room," but still good. The formula stays pretty much the same (which means that I'll probably hate the third album if they don't give me something different and step things up a notch.) Doom and gloom are the topics of discussion and every song explodes with guitars that ring louder than my ears do for three days after a Dinosaur Jr. concert. It's the Edge-like guitar ring permeating this release that conjures up U2 memories for me. The rockers are exciting, most notably "Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors," and the title track with the goofy name. "Spiders" is another album highlight, using the classic start simple and then BUILD approach. The problems that were evident on the first album however, are just as evident here. Many of the songs sound the same. The ringing guitars, while undeniably cool on a few songs, get a bit irritating after a while. And most of the ballads are just plain dull (with the exception of the album closer "Well Worn Hand," which I think is beautiful.) With similar bands releasing mediocre albums this year, this Editors release is a little bit more worth the money, although just slightly so. I'm thinking that, since Joy Division already got it right the first time around, maybe people should stop trying to imitate them. Mind you, Austin's I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness is awesome and they do a bang-up job of JD-imitation so what do I know?

Editors are another band that's performing at this years' V-Fest which I can't afford to go to. So if you're last name is Rockefeller, enjoy the show that of course takes place on Toronto Island on September 9th, 2007.

Download:
Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors mp3
An End Has A Start mp3

Videos:
Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors youtube
An End Has A Start youtube
Bullets (still my personal favorite from "The Back Room") youtube

Editors on myspace
Purchase "An End Has A Start" on Amazon.ca.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home