Monday, April 09, 2007

!!! - Myth Takes

Sorry for the lack of posting lately but I took a bit of a blog break last week, with the exception of the Cold War / Tokyo Police concert review. Once in a while I’m kind of a busy guy, believe it or not. However, while not writing, I was still listening to a lot of music.

!!! is a band that I really shouldn’t like. First of all, their name is unpronounceable. That’s annoying. Secondly they play sprawling dance punk music with completely inane lyrics. However, when I started listening to “Myth Takes” in my ipod while doing the dishes, my booty started shaking and my feet could not stop moving. While my dancing will likely be enough to turn everybody else off of their music, I have to admit that there is something addictive about their style of new wave P-Funk. They’re not a band to be taken seriously, but they are a band strictly made for dancing and having fun. My favourite song has the great title “All My Heroes Are Weirdos.” It has an enigmatic thump to it, and the way he turns “weirdos” into a 3 syllable word makes me laugh. While it’s true that certain aspects of the album will likely grate on me depending on my mood, overall this is probably their most accessible release and it’s one where they sound like they’ve finally found their groove.

!!! are playing Lee’s Palace on May 19th.

Download:
All My Heroes Are Weirdos mp3
Heart of Hearts mp3

!!! on myspace.
Purchase "Myth Takes" on amazon.ca

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"They’re not a band to be taken seriously..."

I think that statement is so far off the mark. These guys are very talented and their stuff should be taken seriously by music fans. Listen to their Take Ecstasy With Me single and tell me these guys aren't worth a genuine listen. !!! are not "strictly" anything... that's what keep me coming back.

9:42 AM

 
Blogger Bobby B said...

First of all, the song is called "Take Ecstasy With Me!" If you take a title like that seriously then you definitely need help. Secondly, that's a cover of a Magnetic Fields song. If you know the Magnetic Fields, than you know that 'tongue in cheek' is their specialty! Thirdly, dance and beat-based music is meant for DANCING!! Dancing is meant to be fun. I'm not saying that fun music means untalented music. I think !!! is extremely talented. But if you think their music was designed for stiff-necked intellectual scrutinization, then I think you need to chill out and learn how to have a good time.

1:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home