Sunday, March 11, 2007

Son Volt - The Search

Son Volt’s latest CD, “The Search” has been described as their most adventurous release to date. Erm…I don’t know. I think it sounds like your average great Son Volt album. However as far as covering any really new territory, I’m not hearing it all that much. The only song to really sport anything new, is “The Picture” which contains a fairly over-the-top Clarence Clemons style saxophone. I actually don’t like that song very much. The rest of the album of course, is fantastic, which is what I’ve come to expect from Mr. Farrar.

Since the break-up of the trend setting Uncle Tupelo, Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy have gone on to various levels of success. Wilco of course, would have to put out a remix album with Danger Mouse to get any more popular. (Don’t worry, I haven’t heard of any such plans, although I think it could be interesting.) Farrar, on the other hand, has continued to be successful in certain circles, but for the most part has had to settle in relative obscurity otherwise; which is unfortunate, because he is one of the most consistent artists I’ve ever heard. Every release is solid and “The Search” is an excellent addition to the Farrar catalogue. From the 3rd track on, this CD is classic Son Volt. Beacon Soul” contains more of Farrar’s clever and delightfully pretentious wordplay (“Who the hell is Dow Jones anyway?” haha!) The title track has the band playing with incredible precision, proving that all those who think Farrar’s first edition of Son Volt was the be-all, end-all of the alt-country genre, are, frankly, wrong. The new band continues to get tighter with every release, and Farrar’s guitar playing is beyond compare. “Satellite" and “Automatic Society" (cash-back heart attack / you want fries with that?”) go all Crazy Horse on us, rocking out with serious hard-rock riffage, and Dave Bryson’s impeccable drumming. For all you completists, if you buy the album on iTunes, you get an extra seven songs, which I haven’t heard, but really, when has Jay Farrar ever let you down?

Son Volt are playing The Mod Club on Thursday April 12th. Tickets are $22.50 at Rotate This, Soundscapes, Horseshoe and Ticketmaster. Wilco’s next album, “Sky Blue Sky” is set for release on May 15th.

Stream and purchase the entire “The Search” album here.

Son Volt on myspace

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home