Thursday, February 08, 2007

Trip Device - Inside I Feel

Admittedly, I haven’t been listening to a lot of harder edged music these days. I don’t know if it’s old-age kicking in or what, but it just hasn’t been my thing. However, I have been listening to Trip Device for the last couple of days and when you’re in the mood for the crunchy guitars and the screaming (but not irritating) vocals, than Trip Device are exactly what you should be listening to.

Trip Device are a San Francisco alternative rock band who specialize in aggressive catchy hooks as well as an extremely well produced sound, thanks to multi-platinum producer Sylvia Massy Shivy, who’s produced artists such as Smashing Pumpkins, Tool, System Of A Down and Love & Rockets. Their new CD, “Inside I Feel” is meant to be cranked, or even better, listened to in headphones. There is so much going on in each song, that it does bear several repeat listens to pick up on the many layers contained in every composition. For example, the song “Victim” clocks in at only 3:37, but I didn’t think it was possible to squeeze in that much atmosphere into a single track that doesn’t run into prog-like lengths. The tempo changes constantly, the vocals run the gamut from psychotic whisper to maniacal scream within seconds. My problem with most alternative rock these days is that it doesn’t take long to “get it.” Usually a minute or two into a song, and I know exactly where it’s going to go and even which rhyming words are going to be used. That’s what I like about Trip Device. You’ve got to be paying attention to get the full benefit of their music.

Trip Device are Bryan Wright: Lead Vocals, guitar, programming; Steve Ratcliff: Bass, backing vocals; Steve Slater: Drums, nerve center.

You can listen to the music of Trip Device on their myspace page.

You can purchase “Inside I Feel” here.

Watch the video for the title track.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems that this band would have been more successful 20 years ago...given the current style of music and the age of the band members. It's difficult to have teenagers and 20 year olds relate to a singer that is in his 40's. It's just not very cool to be in your 40's and in a garage band. In other genres of music, such as country, age is more easily overlooked because the range of the ages of the audience is much larger but the range of ages for alternative music is quite young and as a teenager, it isn't very cool to see a 40 year old on stage. That's just the reality of the business. This band might benefit by getting a young, hot guy to join on that would relate more to the targeted audience.

10:28 AM

 
Anonymous Johnny said...

I dunno what the previous commenter was smoking... sounds like a whiny musician who's got an axe to grind, and who's also not paying any attention to anything going on in the music business. Yeah, there are lots of young bands in the world, but Google any number of big-selling bands right now and you'll find out in about 5 seconds how many are older, too... lots of them. Of COURSE a younger and far less successful musician would say it's about age so that nobody notices THEIR music is crap.

Besides, who cares, anyway? Is it about how good the music is, or how old the members are?

I bought Trip Device's stuff from this review because it's really great, not because of what the members look like. And oh yeah, I'm 22. Retard.

6:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home