Perhaps You Missed It: Steve Burns - Songs For Dustmites
I have to admit, I listened to Steve Burns’ “Songs For Dustmites” out of curiosity more than anything else. I read a pretty decent review in Under The Radar and immediately recognized who he was. Those of us with children (which I don’t, so what’s my excuse?) will recognize him as the original goofy host of Nickelodeon’s Blue’s Clues. However, “Songs For Dustmites” is definitely not a children’s album but a lost indie classic. He has none other than The Flaming Lips backing him up, and although you can definitely feel their influence, this is definitely a brainchild all his own. The opening track, “Mighty Little Man” is outstanding, with his hearty rock vocal being accompanied by a monstrous bass sound and even a little moog. Another song “>1”, has an almost haunting vocal, slightly reminiscent of one of my favourite vocalists, E from Eels. And while most people are more familiar with the very very very simple songs he would sing to imaginary beings on the aforementioned kids’ show, “A Sniveling Mess” has an extremely complex arrangement, perhaps like something on The Beatles Revolver. And I kinda like the lyric that says, “Would you love me if I’m a mess?” Overall, this CD is a lot better than anyone could have possibly imagined and apparently, he’s got a follow up CD currently in the works. If it’s at all as good as this release, then the cartoon pooch and green and white shirt will fade into a distant memory, but Steve Burns will continue to grow as a legitimate force in the indie rock scene.
Mighty Little Man mp3
A Sniveling Mess mp3
He has some songs from the upcoming CD on his myspace page. They sound incredible.
Purchase “Songs For Dustmites” here.
Labels: blue's clues., flaming lips, indie, music, songs for dustmites, steve burns

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home