Thursday, January 11, 2007

Skytone - Echoes In All Directions

While sifting through hours and hours of new indie rock, it occurred to me that a lot of time would be saved if I were to automatically delete all of the bands that sort of sound like Coldplay. Some bands are really good at it. Some bore me to tears. And then, every once in a while, a band comes along that is actually better at it. While most of my peers have been jumping aboard The Fray bandwagon (which is more like a band-18 wheeler for crying out loud,) I would much rather glide along with the charismatic sounds of Skytone. On the debut CD "Echoes In All Directions" brothers Rodney and Darius Doddridge should really teach a class on melodic sensibility. I swear that it’s been a long long time since I’ve heard music sound this smooth. “Everybody Loves You When You’re Dead” is a perfectly crafted pop song that reminds me of many of the catchy but forgotten hits of the 80’s. I had almost forgotten what those sound like. The harmonies in “Springtime” will certainly chill you out, and they’re tailor made for relaxing with a beer in your hand. “Just A Little Attention” comes across like a Badfinger meets Jason Falkner hit tune. And “The New York Song” (probably my favourite) has a Johnny Marr-ness stamped all over its crisp guitar work. When I feel overwhelmed with so-called indie mediocrity, Skytone is definitely like a breath of fresh air.

Downloads:
The New York Song mp3
Just A Little Attention mp3

Visit the Skytone myspace page.
The CD “Echoes In All Directions” is definitely worth purchasing.
You can buy the CD here, or you can download it on itunes here.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Deacon Day said...

eh dude. i don't know anything about this band. i'll check 'em out.
i was at the Edge for the performance of Stone Sour. they did awesome. they played a 3 peice acoustic version of "Through Glass", also Corey Taylor did a solo-acoustic version of the old favorite "Wild Horses". he did a good job.
i saw them at the Family Values Tour a few months ago too.
anyway dude. talk later!

12:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home