Everybody told me to check out “Wire Waltz” by The Last Town Chorus and I procrastinated and procrastinated until this week. Fact is, I had only really heard the cover of Bowie’s “Modern Love” and I was only mildly impressed. Then I went to check out her show at The Horseshoe earlier this year but was dealing with a mild case of nausea and could only stay for a few songs. It didn’t blow me away, but after listening to this excellent CD, I’ve come to the conclusion that it must have been the nausea because this is one great release. It is very atmospheric and mellow. Megan Hickey’s voice seduces a person’s attention, and when you add her phenomenal abilities on the lap-steel guitar to the mix, it becomes impossible to turn away. I’m kind of upset that the Bowie cover was chosen as the lead-off single because I would hate for this artist to fade into one-hit cover wonder where-are-they-nowness. Because the highlights really are the other tracks. “Boat,” for example, features haunting vocal harmonies where her voice actually sounds as if it’s harmonizing with the sound of her vintage steel guitar. “Huntsville, 1989” is a beautiful tale steeped in the nostalgia of being a teenager with a broken heart. Again, her sincerity is compelling, because you know that lyrically, this is not a simple case of putting together some simple rhymes designed to tug at the heartstrings. This release sounds very earnest, heartfelt and frank.
The Last Town Chorus will be at the El Mocambo in Toronto on May 14th.
Download:
Boat mp3
Modern Love mp3
The Last Town Chorus on myspace.
Purchase “Wire Waltz” on Amazon.ca
Labels: alt-country, indie, lap-steel guitar, megan hickey, music., the last town chorus
2 Comments:
been reading about this band for years. can't wait to check 'em out.
ekko
www.berkeleyplace.wordpress.com
3:52 AM
Yea, I remember hearing about Megan back in '98 when her 3rd dog collided with the next door neighbours big wheel. That was just terrible. I didn't know if I was going to hear from her again. Glad to hear it!
12:37 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home