Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Jaded - Selling My Soul

I am growing increasingly more impressed with a singer/ songwriter/ performer from St. Catherines, Ontario who calls herself Jaded. Although still quite young, she presents herself with an enormous level of maturity and sophistication that goes way beyond her years. She’s recently released a 3-song EP that she describes as “a peak at her soul” and, if that description is accurate, than there’s a lot going on in there. The songs are extremely personal, and they’ll wrench on your heart in a very original way. I’ve heard literally hundreds of teenage angst-fuelled anthems and I’ve often admired the emotion that can be expressed in these songs. However, sometimes the average tortured teen rock star comes across as one who secretly appreciates and enjoys their level of angst because it causes them to record “really deep music” and, of course, I ultimately grow tired of it. But Jaded sounds sincerely, well, jaded. In “He Let Her Cry,” she sings of a pretty girl, who, at night when she turns out the light, gets scared and literally prays to God to just let her cry. “Hang On” deals with a girl and her alcoholic (and possibly abusive) lover. It’s a subject matter that’s been covered before, but Jaded manages to avoid the Hollywood clichés that often accompany these tales and she just sings it, honestly and truthfully. “One Sweet Day” takes a left turn into happier subject matter, but the piano in that song has burrowed a hole into my brain and resided there so that I simply cannot get it out. It’s a delightful pop song that deserves to be in constant rotation on the radio. I am fully convinced that in the years to come, that’s exactly what is going to happen. Listening to the newer songs on her myspace page, I can see that Jaded still has many creative juices flowing inside of her and I can’t wait till the day she releases her first full-length and the rest of the world gets to discover her enormous talent.

Jaded is currently looking to play as many gigs as possible and, on a personal note, I’d love to see her play here in the downtown Toronto area. If you have any suggestions as to any local spots that might be interested in featuring her, you can contact her at her myspace page.

Download: One Sweet Day mp3
Visit her myspace page and listen to the other great songs that she’s been working on.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home