Monday, November 30, 2009

'Sup In December: Ten Picks

Wow, these months are whipping by pretty wicked fast these days and it seems like I just posted one of these not that long ago. But here we are, the last month of '09 and today the weather is feeling pretty December-y and it's making me tired. I went to a great show on Saturday night that I look forward to telling you about, and if I don't fall asleep I'll be checking out another one tonight but in the meantime here are my picks for the month of December. Don't expect me to be as wordy as usual though. Pretty tired.

For more detailed listings, as usual, go check out Stillepost, Zoilus and Jen's Weekly List (of shows under $10)

1. The Hoa Hoa's / The Disraelis / Action Makes / Your 33 Black Angels @ Silver Dollar
(Friday December 4th; Cost: $6)

OK, I realize that I've been pushing The Hoa Hoa's pretty heavily lately, but their show last month completely blew my mind, and the fact that their name hasn't been circulating as much as some other acts literally keeps me awake at night. So their CD release show at the Dollar is mandatory if you like music as much as I do. And to sweeten the pot, locals psychedelics The Disraelis and Action Makes are also on the bill. But the major drawing action is Your 33 Black Angels from NYC, whom I've heard are so unbelievable that you literally won't believe it! Go to this show. Do it! Oh, Hoa Hoa's are also playing a free instore at Sonic Boom on the same day at 6pm. Do that also! [Myspaces: The Hoa Hoa's; The Disraelis; Action Makes; Your 33 Black Angels]

2. Grant Hart @ The Horseshoe
(Monday December 14th; Cost: $10.50)

Although most people name drop Bob Mould when engaging in conversations about Hüsker Dü, I've always been partial to the works of Grant Hart. He's currently touring in promotion of his first solo album in ten years entitled Hot Wax, which I still have to take the time to listen to. A couple of his previous albums though, namely Intolerance (1989) and Good News For Modern Man (1999) are a couple of albums that I enjoy very much. Should be legendary! [Myspace: Grant Hart]

3. Zero 7 @ The Phoenix
(Thursday December 3rd; Cost: $30)

I don't know why, but Zero 7 is one of those bands that I sheepishly admit to liking, even though I really shouldn't. They're just so calming and incredible and I'll bet they're absolutely otherworldly to see live. I'd imagine that the sound at The Phoenix would be perfect for their type of music. Like the last band, I've yet to hear their current release Yeah Ghost, but apparently it follows along the lines of 2006's brilliant The Garden. While it's true that Sia Furler isn't joining them on this tour, I've read that jazz vocalist Eska Mtungwazi is a revelation, and from what I've sampled, I don't doubt it. [Myspace: Zero 7]

4. The Sadies @ The Horseshoe
(Thursday December 31st; Cost: $20)

OK, here we are, broken record time: The Sadies are the best live band in Toronto. The Sadies play New Years Eve at The Horseshoe every year. The Sadies are ALWAYS perfect. 'Nuff said. [Myspace: The Sadies]

5. W.S Wallcott's Rabbits Foot Minstrel Revue: A Tribute To The Band @ The Boat
(Thursday December 10th; Cost: $5)

As we all know, the music of The Band is timeless, and for five bucks, this would be a pretty hard show to justify passing up. The number of talented musicians taking part is staggering. The list includes members of Born Ruffians, Cuff The Duke, Ohbijou, Jason Collett, The Golden Dogs, Zeus, Steamboat and more. Yes. [Myspace: The Band]

6. Handsome Furs @ Lee's Palace
(Saturday December 5th; Cost: $15)

Husband and wife electro-punk disco pop? How can you go wrong? My interest in this band has been more of mild curiosity as opposed to rabid enthusiasm, but many of my friends have never forgiven me for ducking out on The Handsome Furs (pictured above) at this year's CMW back in March, so it looks like I'll be making up for that this month. [Myspace: Handsome Furs]

7. Do Make Say Think / Charles Spearin's Happiness Project @ Enwave Theatre
(Sat. Dec 12th & Sun. Dec 13th; Cost: $16)

I have very mixed feelings about the bands that Arts & Crafts have been signing as of late, but when the crop of originals put out something new, it always makes for substantial listening. Instrumental post-rockers Do Make Say Think are celebrating the release of their 6th full length entitled Other Truths at the Queens Quay venue, along with this highly ambitious side project from BSS-er Charles Spearin. [Myspaces: Do Make Say Think; Charles Spearin's Happiness Project]

8. Spiral Beach / Boys Who Say No / Heartbeat Hotel / Romo Roto @ The Garrison
(Saturday December 19th; Cost: $12)

I finally got to check out the city's newest live venue on Saturday night, and I was surprised at how much I liked this incredibly red venue. I've also been seriously itching to see Spiral Beach again, as they are certainly one of my favorite live acts in the city. This is their last show of the year, and although I'm not familiar with all of their supporters, Boys Who Say No are almost as much fun as they are. (OK, they're nowhere near as much fun, but they are still pretty fun, in their own way) [Myspaces: Spiral Beach; Boys Who Say No; Heartbeat Hotel; Romo Roto]

9. Bellewoods / Raised by Swans / Old World Vulture / Cheap Speakers @ Horseshoe
(Friday December 11th; Cost: $8)

After a brief hibernation, Raised By Swans are celebrating the release of their new CD called No Ghostless Place at another TWM showcase, this time at The Horseshoe. All of the supporters are great, including TWM faves Cheap Speakers, spacey proggers Old World Vulture and classic folk rock with Bellewoods. Variety ensues... [Myspaces: Bellewoods; Raised By Swans; Old World Vulture; Cheap Speakers]

10. Hey Rosetta / Julie Fader / La Strada @ The Horseshoe
(Fri. Dec 4th & Sat. Dec 5th; Cost: $15)

I still maintain that Hey Rosetta's Into Your Lungs is one of the most solid releases of last year, and the one time that I saw them live is still a show that I thnk back to often. For a good solid performance, this Newfoundland band is pretty much a sure thing, as far as I'm concerned. [Myspaces: Hey Rosetta; Julie Fader; La Strada]

Honorable Mentions:
Only a couple of honorable mentions this time around. Female folk duo Dala (who's latest album Everyone Is Someone is actually much better than I expected it to be) is playing Hugh's Room (Dec 17, $12); The Skydiggers are playing two nights at The Horseshoe (Dec 18th & 19th, $20); Patrick Watson is at Queen Elizabeth Theatre (Dec 12, $25) and Friendly Rich and the Lollipop People are at The Tranzac (Dec 5th, $10). A show that would have definitely made my top ten is Friendly Fires with The xx at The Phoenix on Dec 2nd but the show is completely sold out and I didn't get a ticket so I decided that there was no real need to mention it in the top ten. My friends think Friendly Fires is the bomb (I think they're alright) but The xx have released one of the best albums of the year and it would've been great to see them. They're back in April at the Kool Haus (ugh) with Hot Chip so we'll see.

Where I'll Be:
December is chill out time for me, so I don't think that I'll be going to too much this month (didn't I say that last month?) but I'm 99 percent sure that I'll be at the Handsome Furs show and I'm planning on seeing The Hoa Hoa's at Silver Dollar because I want to see them as often as possible. Everything else is a "we'll see how I feel on the day of" situtation, but I'm pretty determined to not do much so, once again, we'll see. Dress warm peoples.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home