'Sup In October: Ten Picks
It was incredibly difficult to narrow my gig picks for October down to only ten. There are literally a ton of great shows going on this month, and the thought of setting aside all other responsibilities and just taking in a different live show every night of the week has never been more appealing. Well, almost. I mean, call me crazy, but I actually enjoy being a semi-responsible guy, most of the time. But I digress. Here are my picks for October '09.
For more detailed listings, as usual, go check out Stillepost, Zoilus and Jen's Weekly List (of shows under $10)
1. Roky Erickson w/The Sadies @ Lee's Palace
(Wednesday October 28th; Cost: $29.50adv/ $30 door)
So far this has been the best year I can remember for having psychedelic legends perform here. We've had The Sonics, The Zombies and Love all come to town and now you can add to that list the legendary frontman for 13th Floor Elevators: Roky Erickson. What's doubly interesting about this show is the fact that The Sadies are scheduled to perform as well. Now I don't want to start any rumours or get any hopes up, but I'm thinking that there's a good chance that The Sadies might be Roky's band for the evening which, if this is true, which I'm not saying that it is, would be awesome! Either way, just seeing them both on the same night is sure to make this show a memorable one for sure.
[Myspaces: Roky Erickson; 13th Floor Elevators, The Sadies]
2. Wilco / Liam Finn @ Massey Hall
(Wed Oct 14th & Thurs Oct 15th; Cost: $39.50 - $45.00)
Although my personal feelings for the works of Wilco have not been as strong in recent years as they once were, that doesn't lessen the fact that the live Wilco experience is one of greatness. I'm sure that the show will be heavy on material from the latest album, but since they've recently cut their teeth on some of the classics, I'm hoping that they'll throw in a few of those also. Add to that, the possibility that Feist might pop by, and a splendid time is guranteed for all. Once again, I'm not saying that she will be there; this is all just mere speculation on my part. The fact that Liam Finn is opening for them is also exciting since I've heard more than a few good things about his show from people who've actually seen him.
[Myspaces: Wilco; Liam Finn]
3. Loney Dear / Asobi Seksu @ The Horseshoe
(Tuesday October 13th; Cost: $13)
There was no way to hide the disappointment in my walk home from The Rivoli a few months ago after finding out that Emil Svanängen's van broke down and the Loney Dear gig was simply not going to happen. I love seeing this band live and I'm crazy giddy that they are able to return to our city to give it another try. If you enjoy smiling, then I sincerely hope that you'll put this show on your to-do list, because a Loney Dear show is all about shining happiness on everyone in attendance. Don't believe me? Go to this show!
[Myspaces: Loney Dear; Asobi Seksu]
4. Yo La Tengo / The Horse's Ha @ Opera House
(Saturday October 3rd; Cost: $25)
I have not yet heard Yo La Tengo's latest release entitled Popular Songs, but I'm sure it's great. Why can I be so confident? Because they always are! I am of the opinion that Yo La Tengo's music contains a consistency that is only rivaled by Sonic Youth. They are currently in their 25th year of existence, and they have yet to release a mediocre album. The show kind of caught me by surprise and I'm already slated to catch another one, but if there was ever a strong argument for cloning myself, this would be it.
[Myspaces: Yo La Tengo; The Horse's Ha]
5. Broadcast / Atlas Sound @ Lee's Palace
(Saturday August 24th; Cost: $13)
I really like that Bradford Cox. Deerhunter never ceases to amaze me and the same can be said about the prolific works of Cox's solo project Atlas Sound. Although his alienating antics have made a few headlines in the past, I thought he was an absolutely mesmerizing frontman when I saw Deerhunter last year and I'm sure that the same can be said about this show too. Last year, he put out a collaboration CD with electro poppers Broadcast, who are headlining the show. I don't know much about Broadcast. I like what I know but I only know a little. I'm sure they're good.
[Myspaces: Atlas Sound; Broadcast]
6. Happy Mondays / Psychedelic Furs @ Kool Haus
(Wednesday October 14th; Cost: $31.50)
Although these two bands were never really contemporaries as such, they both evoke the same nostalgic feelings in me since their music was featured equally at every party I ever attended from 1988 to 1995. My arms flail madly just thinking about it. Of course, the show's at the Kool Haus which means that if there are any flailing arms happening, they would likely be hitting me in the face and annoying me, because this is generally what happens at the Kool Haus.
[Myspaces: Happy Mondays; Psychedelic Furs]
7. Echo and the Bunnymen @ Queen Elizabeth Theatre
(Tuesday October 20th; Cost: $67.00)
If you'd rather get your 80's fix at a seated venue, then QET is the way to go as Echo and the Bunnymen (pictured above circa 1980) will be performing their entire Ocean Rain album in its entirety with a full orchestra accompanying them. That is sure to be one uplifting show. For 67 bucks, it better be.
[Myspace: Echo and the Bunnymen]
8. Destroyer / Andre Ethier @ The Horseshoe
(Wednesday October 3rd; Cost: $13.50)
I've been longing to see Dan Bejar since Destroyer's Rubies became one of my most listened to albums of the decade. I still have trouble listening to Painter In My Pocket less than three times in a row. He's put out a lot of great stuff since that masterpiece, including the solid Trouble In Dreams album and this year's soaring Bay Of Pigs single, which is a 13 minute electronic disco rock amalgam of pure bliss. Sweetening the pot is the fact that he's being supported by local songwriting genius Andre Ethier, whose live show I've actually been craving lately.
[Myspaces: Destroyer; Andre Ethier]
9. Daniel Johnston @ Mod Club
(Saturday October 17th; Cost: $27.00)
A Daniel Johnston show is a bit of a risky endeavor since you never really know how it's going to go down. It could be amazing, bordering on genius, or it could be confusing, annoying or perhaps even offensive, depending on how he's feeling. However, if you're at all familiar with the story of Daniel Johnston, then you're likely as curious as I am to attend a performance, at least once. The fact is, that his music has been covered by everyone from Tom Waits to Beck to Sparklehorse and his influence is undeniable.
[Myspace: Daniel Johnston]
10. Shonen Knife / The Modern Superstitions @ The Horseshoe
(Sunday October 18th; Cost: $15.50 adv/ $18 door)
My weakness for Japanese pop is something that I haven't revealed all that often on this here blog, but truth be told, I may not always know what they're talking about, but they always warm my heart anyway. Shonen Knife is one of my favourites, and their show at The Horseshoe is bound to be all kinds of fun.
[Myspaces: Shonen Knife; The Modern Superstitions]
Honorable Mentions:
As I alluded to at the outset, I could honestly be honorably mentioning my brains out, since the number of great shows in town is staggering. Bruce Peninsula and Sunparlour Players (Oct 1st @ Horseshoe); Built To Spill (Oct 6th & 7th @ Lee's Palace); The Horrors (Oct 15th @ Lee's Palace); Cuff The Duke (Oct 16th & 17th @ Horseshoe); The Dodos (Oct 17th @ Lee's) Elvyn (Oct 23rd @ Silver Dollar); In Flight Safety (Oct 29th @ El Mocambo); Bishop Allen (Oct 30th @ El Mocambo) and many many more. You add to that the Pop Montreal Festival that is taking place RIGHT NOW in Montreal, and this weekend's city wide art festival Nuit Blanche, and this month becomes more action packed than a Michael Bay movie. But with significantly more substance.
Where I'll Be:
I'm actually mildly prepared this time around since I'm holding a ticket to the Destroyer / Andre Ethier show this Saturday (after which I plan on attempting the all night thing again with Nuit Blanche.) I'll also be checking out Loney Dear for sure, and Wilco's first night as well. I hope to catch Elvyn's show at the Silver Dollar and I'm really hoping to go to my number one pick with Roky and The Sadies, although I don't actually have my ticket for that one yet. See you around!
Labels: atlas sound, concert listings, liam finn, loney dear, october, roky erickson, the sadies, wilco, yo la tengo
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home