Wednesday, July 01, 2009

'Sup In July: Ten Picks

Being somewhat inspired by my own 'Sup For NXNE post, I thought that I'd try out a slightly different format for my monthly 'Sup In.. post. Instead of spitting out endless recommendations ad nauseum, I'm going to give you ten. These are the ten that are most appealing to me because quite simply, this is my blog. For more detailed listings I would recommend going to Stillepost, Zoilus or Jen's Weekly List (of shows under $10). So, here are my picks:

1. Neko Case /Jason Lytle @ Massey Hall
(Tuesday July 14th; Cost: $29.50-$40.50)

The sultry sound of Neko's pitch perfect voice along with her subdued yet arresting giutar work is highly deserving of only the best acoustics around, and Massey Hall has it. The added bonus of having Jason Lytle (ex of Grandaddy) along for the ride is certainly an ... um ... added bonus.

[Myspaces: Neko Case; Jason Lytle]


2. Broken Social Scene @ Harbourfront
(Saturday July 11th; Cost: Free)


After cancelling their semi annual Island Show due to the excessive noise that will be created by a nearby car race, putting on a free one at Harbourfront was an inspired move indeed. Initially, I had pretty much put this one on my "it's going to be a zoo and I'm not interested in the ensuing chaos" list, but now I'm starting to second guess my choices. Actually, no I'm not because I just remembered that I've got a family thing going on that day. Yep, so won't be there. (Sorry, just blogging out loud again.)

[Myspace: Broken Social Scene]


3. Van Der Graaf Generator @ Hamilton Place Studio
(Sunday July 5th; Cost: $35)


In what is probably my most random pick, legendary 70's proggers VDGG are coming to Hamilton in a somewhat reformed state to play several of their classics. Peter Hammill's voice has a very distinguished yet maniacal Shakespearean tone to it, and their music is that of a free form progressive jazz-rock. A challenging listen for sure, as is clear by the way that my playing their records in the past has managed to clear the room on more than one occasion. Still, they're one of my all time favourite bands, and none other than Johnny Lydon and David Bowie agree with me, so there!

[Myspace: Van Der Graaf Generator]


4. Rural Alberta Advantage / Hooded Fang / Wilderness of Manitoba @ The Horseshoe
(Thursday July 30th; Cost: $12)

Locallers the Rural Alberta Advantage have taken the world by storm, first by knocking them dead at this year's SXSW, and then by signing to the influential Saddle Creek label. Well, they're back in town at the end of the month to celebrate the release of Hometowns on the aforementioned label, and they have a couple of great bands here to support them.

[Myspaces: Rural Alberta Advantage; Hooded Fang; Wilderness of Manitoba]


5. The Zombies @ The Mod Club
(Wednesday July 15th; Cost: $41.50)


It's the year for classic 60's comebacks invading our city. The Sonics have just blown us away with their presence, and now The Zombies are in town to play The Mod Club. Unfortunately the cost is just a little too rich for my blood, but at the very least you should pick up a copy of their classic Odessey and Oracle album and give yourself a taste of what brilliance sounds like.

[Myspace: The Zombies]


6. TWM Presents: One Hit Wonders Night #2 @ Rancho Relaxo
(Friday July 10th; Cost: $7)


I'm still kicking myself for having missed the first edition of, what I hope, will continue to be a regular series at the Rancho. From what've heard, it was more fun than a party over at Vanilla Ice's house. 10 local bands will be playing a brief set of covers by those artists that you loved but may have forgotten all about. Here's who's on the bill: Lovely Killbots, Vive Quebec Libres, Big City Nights Band, Santa With Muscles, Blanc & White, Fresh Blintz, Dancehall Free For All, Wendy Leung, Matt Bahen, and Stepfathers.

7. Peter Murphy / Venus Infers @ Opera House
(Saturday July 11th; Cost: $29.50)


Peter Murphy (pictured above) is one of the most eclectic and bizarre frontmen in history, with his role as the former lead singer of Bauhaus solidifying him as the godfather of goth. I'm pretty sure that he isn't jumping out of coffins as much as he once did, but I hear that he's still one fierce dancer and an absolute marvel to behold. He doesn't do all that many local club dates these days, so this one may be worth catching.

[Myspaces: Peter Murphy; Venus Infers]


8. The Lemonheads / Julia Set Generator @ Lee's Palace
(Saturday July 4th; Cost: $20)

Everytime that I say (or think) that one should catch The Lemonheads when they come to town since they may not ever come again, they always end up coming again. So who knows, they may be back again, but why take that chance? Actually, Evan Dando's band is here promoting their latest release entitled Varshons, which is a covers albums where they take on the likes of Gram Parsons, G.G. Allin and even Christina Aguilera. Should be interesting.

[Myspaces: The Lemonheads; Julia Set Generator]


9. Wavelength 473 feat. Jon Rae Fletcher, Flotilla and Great Bloomers @ Sneaky Dee's
(Sunday July 26th; Cost: PWYC (sugg $5 or $10))

All three of the artists on this bill are spectacular, but it really has been quite a long time since I've seen Great Bloomers and I think that I'm definitely due. They're latest release Speak Of Trouble is seriously about as perfect as an album can get, and actually more diverse than I was expecting.

[Myspaces:
Jon Rae Fletcher; Flotilla; Great Bloomers]

10. Sunset Rubdown / The Witchies @ Lee's Palace
(Friday July 10th; Cost: $13adv / $15 door)

I don't really talk about Spencer Krug's experiemental side project Sunset Rubdown all that much but it's not like he needs the publicity. He's established a name for himself based on his unique voice, captivating arrangements and subtle melodies.

[Myspaces: Sunset Rubdown; The Witchies]


Where I'll Be:
It's summertime, which means I've got lots of other things on the go and this is actually the first month in ages where I don't actually have any concert events written in stone as of yet. I'm pretty sure that I'll be at the One Hit Wonders show on the 10th, I'm hoping that I'll catch the Wavelength show and I have my sights set on the RAA too. Other than that, we'll just have to see where the wind will take me in July.

If you're looking for something to do tonight, The Constantines and Chad VanGaalen are playing a free show at the Harbourfront, with Chad coming on at 8pm, The Cons at 9:30. I'm not a huge fan of either but everyone else in the world thinks they're great, so I'd get there early if you're interested.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home