'Sup In August: Ten Picks
I'm still reeling from the brilliant performance put on by the Rural Alberta Advantage last night, and I still have to tell you about the awesome surprise that was The Datsuns at the Horseshoe a couple of weeks ago, but in the meantime, August is rapidly approaching which means that it's time for me to let you know what I would do if I were you before summer winds down to a close. What summer you say? Yah seriously, right?
For more detailed listings, as usual, go check out Stillepost, Zoilus or Jen's Weekly List (of shows under $10)
1. The Decemberists / Heartless Bastards @ Kool Haus
(Monday, August 3rd; Cost: $32)
To me this is a no brainer for top pick. The Hazards Of Love is the first truly perfect album I've heard in years and the band will be playing it in its entirety, to be followed up with a complete second set of older material. That means over 2 hours of pure Meloy gold that has been getting raver than rave reviews in every town they go to. Sadly, Kool Haus sucks, but the show cannot help but triumph.
[Myspaces: The Decemberists; Heartless Bastards]
2. Tom Fun Orchestra / The Coast / Carmen Townsend @ The Horseshoe
(Thursday August 6th; Cost: $8)
I've mentioned before that seeing the Tom Fun Orchestra back in January will easily make my list of best shows of the year. It's a rare oppportunity to watch a usually reserved Toronto crowd come out of its shell, as the band plays their brains out. I'm still giving away tickets for this show. If you'd like to win them, you can check out the contest rules here.
[Myspaces: Tom Fun Orchestra; The Coast; Carmen Townsend]
3. Fox Jaws / Hot Kid / Rival Boys @ El Mocambo
(Friday August 21st; Cost: $8 or $15 with CD)
My crushes the Fox Jaws (pictured above) are releasing their new CD, entitled At Odds (or exercises in separation while united in the fall) on August 15th, and this show at the El Mo is their official Toronto CD release party. I've been suffering from a little bit of FJ withdrawal lately so I really hope that I can make it to this show. They're still one of the best live bands this city has to offer and they'll also be playing earlier in the month as part of the Summerworks Festival, which has a stellar lineup that you won't want to miss.
[Myspaces: Fox Jaws, Hot Kid, Rival Boys]
4. Fleet Foxes / Dungen @ Massey Hall
(Tuesday August 4th; Cost: $32.50-$39.50)
This one makes my list of recommendations simply because I know what a great live band the Fleet Foxes are, but I have to admit that there's something in me that is a little bit perturbed about such a new band playing such a prestigious venue at such a ridiculous cost. I'm of the opinion that a band should have to prove themselves with a few albums before they get the privilege of playing a venue that should be reserved for those of a more legendary status. Still, their harmonies are going to sound pretty heavenly amidst those sonically pleasing walls.
[Myspace: Fleet Foxes; Dungen]
5. Do Make Say Think @ Polish Combatants Hall
(Wednesday August 19th; Cost: $22)
I just picked up Stuart Berman's This Book Is Broken: A Broken Social Scene Story and it's got me craving all things associated with the BSS world, especially the post rock instrumental sounds of the still very active Do Make Say Think. After 6 albums and 13 years of existence, the band has cultivated a sound that is often imitated, yet never duplicated and their reputation as one of the best live acts that Toronto has ever spawned is completely warranted.
[Myspace: Do Make Say Think]
6. St. Vincent / Gentlemen Reg @ The Horseshoe
(Saturday August 8th; Cost: $13adv/ $15 door)
I'm still getting used to St. Vincent's latest release Actor, which for whatever reason is failing to resonate with me in the same way her 2007 release Marry Me did, which landed nicely in my year end best of list. Still, she is a very charismatic and exuberant performer and it will be interesting to see how the strange Disney-esque sounds on her album will translate to the live stage. I anticipate that there will likely be just as many people there to see Gentlemen Reg also, although he's another one whose music simply does nothing for me. I haven't seen him live for years though, so maybe it's about time to do so.
[Myspaces: St. Vincent; Gentlemen Reg]
7. The Breeders / Whispertown 2000 @ Lee's Palace
(Saturday August 15th; Cost: $23.50)
The legendary Breeders are back in town at a slightly smaller venue than last time, promoting last year's comeback release Mountain Battles. I've only been a casual fan over the years, basically getting to know them via their obvious Pixies association, but I can vouch for the fact that they put on a very energetic show.
[Myspace: The Breeders; Whispertown 2000]
8. Lykke Li / Mike Snow @ Sound Academy
(Sunday August 9th; Cost: $26.50)
After a late start, Youth Novels eventually became one of my most listened to albums of last year. Her hushed vocals are amongst the most soothing sounds around and I've heard more than a couple of people sing the praises of her live performances. I still have yet to see her live, and I likely won't be making it out to this one either, but obviously if she's playing a larger venue like the Sound Academy, than her reputation must be preceding her.
[Myspace: Lykke Li; Mike Snow]
9. Passion Pit / Ruby Coast @ The Phoenix
(Tuesday August 11th; Cost: $15)
Passion Pit are determined to make up for the fact that they had to cancel on us twice by playing a show this month at The Phoenix only a couple of months after they last came to town. I figure that this will also be an opportunity for them to better hone their live skills because from what I saw, they've got the fun part down, but they still need to work on the tightness factor. Thankfully they've got localers (and friends) Ruby Coast opening for them who could probably show them a thing or two about what it means to be tight.
[Myspaces: Passion Pit; Ruby Coast]
10. Friendly Fires @ Lee's Palace
(Monday August 10th; Cost: $15)
This is more of a recommendation based on buzz more than personal opinion as Friendly Fires make their return to Toronto after having played a show only a few months ago to much critical acclaim. Personally, I find their self titled release to be fun enough for an 80's throwback, but a bit of a challenge to take in all at once. Still, some of my friends whose opinions I respect, came back from the show reeling as if they had just witnessed the invention of light, so I assume they must put on a spectacular show. [This show is currently sold out!]
(Myspace: Friendly Fires)
Honorable Mention: I just thought I'd also mention that this years Summerworks Theatre Festival takes place from August 6th-16th and features some of the best live bands in the city. There are so many bands playing the festival including Sunparlour Players, Fox Jaws, Still Life Still, Great Bloomers, Oh No Forest Fires, Miracle Fortress and many many more. Tickets are a very affordable $10 per performance, or you can spend $25 for a three show pass. Other options are also available and you can see all of the pricing arrangements here.
Where I'll Be:
I've already got my Decemberists tickets clutched in my sweaty little hands so I'll be there bright and early for that one. I'm hoping to be at the Fox Jaws CD release show although now that I think about it, I might be up at the cottage that weekend. If that's the case, I'll certainly be seeing them as part of Summerworks and hopefully I'll be able to catch a few more of them there Summerworks shows, although exactly which ones will have to be determined at a later date.
Labels: august, concert listings, recommendations, toronto
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home