Tuesday, June 02, 2009

'Sup In June

As you've likely noticed by now, the monthly "Sup In ..." post has become less of a list of what I'm doing, and more of a list of what I would do if I were you. The shows that I plan to attend tend not to see the light of day more often than not, and it seems that each month showcases a show or two that I end up going to as more of a spur of a moment type of thing. June is going to be busy with this year's NXNE festival in full force which I'm obviously participating in although, due to other conflicting priorities, my involvement this year will be significantly more reserved than in year's past. Anyways, enough of my jibber jabber and on to the month's events:

To start with, I'd like to tell you about the Aux TV Secret Sessions Series taking place every Saturday during the months of June and July. It all happens at The Audio Recording Academy (554 Queen Street East), it's all ages, it usually starts at 5pm and it's free. To get in, all you have to do is RSVP to rsvp@secretsessionstara.com with the show you wish to attend, your name and the number of guests. Some of the performers for the month of June include The Ghost Is Dancing, Great Bloomers, Holler! Wild Rose, The Paint Movement, Josh Reichmann and Oh No Forest Fires. For more info, go to the website. [Myspace: Secret Sessions Tara]

In support of their critically acclaimed Veckatimest album, Grizzly Bear are in town on Friday June 6th playing The Phoenix. Tix are $18, although I think it might be sold out. [Myspace: Grizzly Bear]

Ma homeboy (I'll never be able to pull that off, will I?) Slakah The Beatchild is having a CD release party at The Revival on Thursday June 11th in support of his excellent new release entitled Soul Movement Pt 1. Looks like it's going to be quite the bill for any fans of hip hop ad R&B, with guests including Divine Brown, Melanie Durant, Ebrahim and Shad K, amongst others. Details for the event can be found here. [Myspace: Slakah The Beatchild]

One Hundred Dollars are playing The Horseshoe on Friday June 12th. They are by far the best country band in the city. Tix are $8. [Myspace: One Hundred Dollars]

Alt-Country giant Alejandro Escovedo is back and playing Trinity St. Paul's on Tuesday June 16th for $27. [Myspace: Alejandro Escovedo]

Also on Tuesday June 16th, Passion Pit are making an attempt to return to our city by playing Lee's Palace. They've already failed twice before so hopefully we get to see this one make it's way to fruition. I've noticed that the tickets are sold out at some of the local points of sale, so keep your eyes on this blog as I may have a couple of spots to giveaway in the very near future. $12. [Myspace: Passion Pit]

Which of course brings us to this year's NXNE festival, taking place June 17th - 21st. I think I'm going to do a more detailed posting for this as we get closer to the date, but you can already get started on your personal picks by perusing the schedule over here. Admittedly I haven't got it all figured out just yet, but one band that I certinaly will NOT be missing is legendary 60's Seattle rockers The Sonics, who will be at Yonge-Dundas Square on Saturday June 20th at 9:30. It looks like I'm sort of leaning towards checking out more of the 'out of towners' on the schedule, as opposed to the 'will always be heres' on the schedule, but more on that later. [Myspace: The Sonics]

One thing that I will mention, is that Daps All Ages and No Shame are going to be presenting an all ages afternoon show at Rolly's Garage on Saturday June 20th, from 1pm to 6pm. On the bill are Ruby Jean & The Thoughtful Bees, Lightmares, Laura Barrett, Swirling Shores, Times Neue Roman and Pick A Piper (who I just saw last weekend and I gotta tell you, whew! More on that later.) Tix are $10.

The excellent double bill of Jonathan Richmond and Vic Chesnutt are playing the Great Hall on Thursday June 25th for only $20. [Myspaces: Jonathan Richmond; Vic Chesnutt]

Also, on Thursday June 25th, you may wish to check out the always amazing Ohbijou with Great Bloomers and Evening Hymns at The Opera House. Tix are only $13. [Myspace: Ohbijou; Great Bloomers, Evening Hyms]

I have the opportunity to broaden my horizons by attending a day of The 26th Annual Tottenham Bluegrass Festival which takes place June 26th, 27th, and 28th at the Tottenham Observation Area. I cover artists that borrow from the bluegrass genre all the time, but I anticipate that it's going to be downright inspiring to spend an afternoon sitting in the sun taking in some old school meat and potatoes type of classic bluegrass tunes. Some of the artists are a little bit rootsier than I'm accustomed to, but I am looking forward to seeing a set by Danny Paisley and the Southern Grass. Another band that intrigues me is called The Dixie Flyers, who actually have some pretty impressive Canadian bluegrassers playing amongst them. (I've also heard that I've got to try a deep fried Mars Bar at least once in my life.) Schedule and other info can be found at the website. [Myspaces: Danny Paisley and the Southern Grass; Dixie Flyers]

The return of the always delightful Camera Obscura takes place at Lee's Palace on Saturday June 27th. I am madly in love with their latest My Maudlin Career. Tix are $23.50. [Myspace: Camera Obscura]

There's quite a number of legends coming through town in June, one of such is Todd Rundgren, who is playing The Mod Club (!) on Sunday June 28th. Tickets are $49.50. [Myspace: Todd Rundgren]

Tuesday June 30th is a busy day here in the city as New York's legendary glam-rockers the New York Dolls are in town playing Lee's Palace. The tickets are $29.50 and legends of this magnitude do not come around all that often so you really have no excuse for not attending. Actually there is one excuse, that is, if you're planning on seeing... [Myspace: New York Dolls]

...SONIC YOUTH!!!! To say that I'm excited about this show is hardly a strong enough phrase to convey the level of excitement going through my body right now. I once stated that Sonic Youth (pictured above) were basically the best band in the world, and I don't think that my statement is all that far off. They are legends having inspired almost every band that I've loved since and I think this is going to be one epic performance. They are playing Massey Hall on Tuesday June 30th and tickets are $48.50 and worth every penny! [Myspace: Sonic Youth]

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home