'Sup In May
As you can tell by the lack of general show reviews in April, the month was a bit of a write-off as far as show goings are concerned. I did see a couple of great ones, but I didn't end up going to any of the ones that I was planning on checking out. Hopefully May will be a little bit more fruitful in that area. So let's stop regretting the past and move boldly forward into the future, shall we?
Tonight, Friday May 1st, is the CD release party for Black Diamond Bay's new long player entitled Calm Awaits. I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you haven't yet seen Patrick Krief wail a guitar, than you are seriously missing out. Seriously. The openers are pretty solid also, they being The Dress Whites (best pop band in the city) and Make Your Exit. The show's at Sneaky Dee's and the cost is $7. [Myspace: Black Diamond Bay; The Dress Whites; Make Your Exit]
Saturday May 2nd also showcases a pretty awesome CD release party, this one for Great Bloomers Speak Of Trouble. They're playing with Sports: The Band; Gavin Gardiner and the Cutting Edge and Modernboys Moderngirls. Sounds awesome! The show's at The Horseshoe and tix are $8 adv/ $10 door. [Myspace: Great Bloomers; Sports: The Band; Gavin Gardiner (Wooden Sky), Modernboys Moderngirls]
If you're in the mood to get your female fronted rock on, then there really is no better place to be on Thursday May 7th then at The Phoenix to see The Kills, who are still promoting 2007's Midnight Boom. Tix are $18.50 adv. $20 door. [Myspace: The Kills]
If local rock in a more affordable price range is your thing, than you may wish to check out Arietta's show at The Horseshoe, where they are celebrating the release of the new full length Migration. This is also on Thursday May 7th, and the cost is $7. If you're unfamiliar with them, they're streaming the entire album on their myspace page. [Myspace: Arietta]
A couple of years ago, Sweden's Loney Dear put on one of the most enjoyable shows that I've ever seen. Emil's great music was only emphasized by the fact that he also exuded enormous amounts of charm, charisma and hilarity. Well, on Friday May 8th, he's back again playing The Rivoli and if I can recommend one show, this would be it. To sweeten the pot, Headlights from Illinois are opening for them, and although I've never seen them live, I can vouch for the fact that their music is totally on par with Loney Dear. Rest assured, this will be an amazing show. Tix are only $10. No excuses my friends. [Myspace: Loney Dear; Headlights]
I'm finding this hard to believe, but The Vaselines are playing their first ever show in Toronto on Friday May 15th at Lee's Palace. They are an absolutely legendary indie pop band from Scotland that Kurt Cobain has sung the praises of on more than one occasion. Tix are $29.50 advance. [Myspace: The Vaselines]
The legendary Leonard Cohen plays Copps Coliseum in Hamilton on Tuesday May 19th. Tickets are $49.50-$250.00. [Myspace: Leonard Cohen]
I already have my ticket to see The National (pictured above) at the truly dreadful Kool Haus on Thursday May 21st. I'm obviously looking forward to this since The National are all kinds of amazing, but if I had paid more attention to the fact that it was on a Thursday night at Kool Haus, I likely would have thought twice about going. I'm going to be getting there a little bit later, which means I'll likely be standing near the back, which means I won't be getting any worthwhile pictures for this one, which means I'll be grumpy. Ah well, at least they're awesome. Tix are $24.50 but I think they might be sold out. [Myspace: The National]
The pretty ladies in Au Revoir Simone bring their ethereal keyboard pop to Lee's Palace on Thursday May 21st. Tix are $12 adv. [Myspace: Au Revoir Simone]
My favourites Amos the Transparent are playing The Horseshoe on Friday May 22nd with Whale Tooth, Make Your Exit and The Lovely Killbots. I am soooo there! Cost: TBA [Myspace: Amos The Transparent; Whale Tooth; Make Your Exit; Lovely Killbots]
Which brings us to this year's Pitter Patter Festival. I still haven't really settled on what I'm going to be seeing myself, but the early version of my schedule is looking like this:
Thursday May 28th: If I go out at all on Thursday, I'll likely settle at The Neu+ral where I can check out Hunter Eves (11pm), Left Of Zero (12am) and First Person Shooter (1am). Left of Zero I've seen before and really like. I'm mildly familiar with the electro punk of First Person Shooter and the progressive sounds of Hunter Eves intrigues me. I don't know anything about the openers First Noise Than Silence (10pm), whom I can't even find a myspace page for.
Friday May 29th: There's a lot of good choices on Friday including Black Hat Brigade at El Mocambo (12am), Burn Planetarium at El Mocambo (10pm), The Miles at The Boat (12am) followed by Spiral Beach at The Boat (1am) and there's also Silver Speakers at the Oxford Hotel (10pm). Since I've seen most of those artists before, I think I may go over to Bread and Circus to catch Megan Hamilton and the Volunteer Canola (12am) followed by Entire Cities (1am). Never seen Megan (love her!) and it's been a long time since I've seen Entire Cities.
Saturday May 30th: I am definitely going to be planting myself at The Embassy to see the 60's inspired rock of The Abbreviations (10pm); the pop delights of Nich Worby (11pm), the 90's alt-rock of Cedar (12am), and it'll be great to see if I finally get out to see my beloved Hoa Hoa's (1am), who I continue to miss on a regular basis for some reason. Hopefully not this time.
I likely won't be getting out on Sunday, but there are a few acts playing that night, not to mention the fact that The Boat is hosting some all ages afternoon events on both Saturday and Sunday. The entire festival is pay what you can, and you can see a pdf of the whole Toronto schedule here.
And finally, I'd just like to send out a hearty congratulatory message to the guys and gal of Rural Alberta Advantage who have just been signed to the highly influential Saddle Creek Records. I wish them all the success in the world and one would definitely be hard pressed to find a more deserving set of semi-locals (by way of Alberta, of course.) Frank at Chromewaves gives his thoughts, and the story has also been throughly covered at Pitchfork, ChartAttack, Exclaim, and Radio Exile. [Myspace: Rural Alberta Advantage]
The photo of The National was taken by Rachel Been for Spinner.com
Labels: arietta, au revoir simone, black diamond bay, concert listings, great bloomers, leonard cohen, loney dear, pitter patter festival, rural alberta advantage, the kills, the national, the vaselines
1 Comments:
The Kool Haus may suck but I'm still jealous - National aren't coming anywhere near the west coast.
1:24 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home