Tuesday, March 03, 2009

The Paint Movement, Still Life Still & The D'Urbervilles @ Silver Dollar

I'm at the point where I've really had just about all that I can stand of winter, and I'd be lying if I didn't admit to really wanting to stay home on that freezing Friday night last week. But I had invested so much time and energy into promoting this show at The Silver Dollar that I knew I had to go. Add to that the extra motivation of the fact that a friend of mine, whom I hadn't seen for a couple of months, had just returned from Mexico itching to go to a show, and you've got yourself a couple of guys sitting at that bluesy bar on the corner of College and Spadina, preparing to have our minds blown by some seriously crazy local talent.

Although the bands to follow certainly have the greater fan base for now, as far as I'm concerned The Paint Movement was the highlight of the night. The energy emanating from that stage was solid as they proved that their stellar first CD was no mere product of studio wizardry. I especially enjoyed the jazzy interplay between saxophonist Jason Loftman and drummer Glenn Candy. Although those moments of sonic exploration had a touch of the jam band feel to them, the fact that they avoided getting overly meandering and extemporaneous made them accessible for everyone. (Personally I love when bands get a little overwrought, but I recognize that not everyone does.) I feel that their show is only going to get even more impressive as time goes on, as their style leaves lots of room for continual development and improvisation.

Photos: My pics of The Paint Movement @ Silver Dollar are on flickr.
Myspace: The Paint Movement

There's currently a lot of exciting rumours surrounding the gang in Still Life Still, and the fact that Kevin Drew was working the door at this show just adds a little bit of credibility to those rumours. Their feature debut is reportedly being released on Arts and Crafts in the near future, and at the behest of Mr. Drew there may have been a few important music type people in that crowded room on Friday night. If that's the case, then it's a good thing that the band had all of their friends and family in attendance because their performance was as celebratory as it's ever been. It'll be interesting to see if their sound will translate as well once they leave the comfort of Toronto. Part of their whole vibe is the fact that their friends know exactly when to jump onstage and wreak merry havoc all over the place. Are the songs strong enough to evoke the same reaction when they travel the country, or perhaps even Stateside? Only time will tell.

Photos: My shots of Still Life Still @ Silver Dollar are on flickr.
Myspace: Still Life Still

I had mentioned before that following Still Life Still is not an enviable task, and The D'Urbervilles certainly had their work cut out for them. The crowd had dissipated slightly and it was getting rather late. Still the band was clearly up to the challenge and I felt that they really held their own that night. Lead vocalist John O'Regan displays an assured awkwardness onstage that is very obvious once he puts down the guitar and starts dancing. I loved watching it personally. There are many bands that remind me of David Byrne in their vocal delivery and lyrical influence, but this time it was his stage demeanor that reminded me of the Talking Heads frontman. All O'Regan needed was a giant oversized suit. They blasted through their set rather quickly, which was appropriate considering the immediacy of most of their material. While The Paint Movement may have the greatest sense of musical adventure, and Still Life Still corner the market on frenetic energy, the winner in the best overall songs category is by far The D'Urbervilles.

Photos: My shots of The D'Urbervilles @ Silver Dollar are on flickr.
Myspace: The D'Urbervilles

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger historyjen said...

D'Urbs are SO GREAT! I love John on stage. And Tim (guitar) is great, too.

I gotta say, though, that I'm not into SLS or The Paint Movt... not yet, anyways :-)

4:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home