The Hylozoists @ Soundscapes (In-Store Performance)
In my early twenties I went through a faze where I only listened to instrumental music for about eight months or so. I grew up listening to prog and so the natural progression from there seemed to be to turn myself on to a lyric-less universe, which included minor forays into electronica, classical, ambient and a whole lot of jazz. All of those genres still hold a special place in my heart, but a latter day love of Tom Waits and Bob Dylan has set me on a course that is much more lyrically based. This is why going to see an instrumental band as astounding as The Hylozoists awakens in me, not simply the feeling that comes from a refreshing change, but the carefully placed love of music that, for me personally, the human voice is unable to equal. Instrumental music allows a place for exploration wherein vocal music is limited to travel. While it's true that there are some vocalists that reach for otherworldly plateaus by using their voice as an instrument of sorts, in most cases, I find that the vocal gymnastics that are popular amongst the idol /diva types tends to just get on my nerves. The strong argument could be made that opera does so in a more respectable way but again, this is a type of music I respect more than enjoy. But instrumental music, ahhh, for whatever reason it does it for me. When it is done well.
Anyway, what my opening paragraph ramble is trying to say is that I enjoyed The Hylozoists in-store performance at Soundcapes a lot more than I expected to. I knew it would be enjoyable, but I actually didn't want it to end. It's been a while since my ADD'ed self has said anything like that. But the vibraphonic musical journey that Paul Aucoin et al led us on the other night played out like a grand cinematic masterpiece, albeit one that ended way too soon. They played many new songs from their latest album L'Île de Sept Villes, as well as a couple of older ones. From what I could tell based on my limited knowledge of the band's output, the newer songs seemed to display a greater vibrancy and sense of adventure than some of their earlier material. Their own description of the new album describes it as "more of a sonic dream, with greater focus on the landscape of the pieces then on quirky rhythms." I particularly enjoyed the pieces that would begin in one area, developing a certain mood, before escalating into another area, one that is perhaps more anthemic. I also thought that I heard traces of 60's jazz and hard bop, particularly in the carnivalesque way that the glockenspiel and the organ accompanied each other. Most impressive of all however, is the way that this six piece can create the sound of a mini orchestra, creating a sophistication that is usually not synonamous with the idea of indie rock. Paul Aucoin's association with bands like The Sadies and Cuff The Duke may have proved that he's an accomplished musician, but the music of The Hylozoists shows that he is, above all, a composer extrordinaire.
The Hylozoists are opening for Jill Barber at The Mod Club on Saturday February 21st.
Photos: My pics of The Hylozoists @ Soundscapes are on flickr.
Myspace: The Hylozoists
Download: The Island Of Seven Cities mp3
Labels: concert review, in-store performance, soundscapes, the hylozoists
1 Comments:
great review!
8:13 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home