Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Darren Gaines & the Key Party - My Blacks Don't Match

When I reviewed the debut release by New York's The Key Party, I referred to it as a slice of Tom Waits-ian lo-fi gutter rock. Using such a singular description for the sophomore release by the newly renamed Darren Gaines and the Key Party, is not going to be as easy a task since the band has stepped up the variety this time and allowed this project to be more of a collaborative affair. Recruiting the vocal and vibraslap talents of Sara Syms was a sweet move, as she adds a sultry layer of sludge to the soundtrack, which dives head first into a musical mud sluice leading to a bluesy underworld that is as endearing as it is frightening. While listening to this album, you get the sense that Darren Gaines was raised in a world where you'd be happy to keep a family of sewer rats as pets, or even friends. Despite the dark and dingy analogies that I've been overusing in this opening paragraph, the fact is that, simply put, I love this album.

After a brief acoustic intro, opening track Nightshade, busts forth with a blasting barrage of brass, accompanied by Gaines' delicious yelp. It does a very good job at setting the tone for the album, as it straddles a line between smoky urban blues and New Orleans funk. Songs like Hey Napoleon and The Litterati follow along in a similar mold, with the latter boasting a significantly fuller sound than when I first heard it in its demo form. Good Old Days (Wash Away) has more of a light hearted vibe to it, even if the lyrics are still somewhat dark in tone. Still the song does boast a real celebratory feel, not unlike John Hiatt's Slow Turning, although once again, the horn section gives it that extra bit of oomph. A couple of the songs showcase a different side of Gaines' vocal abilities, most notably in Tripped Down Memory, which describes a chance meeting with the past; and on album closer Speechless, where his vocals display a warbly bassy-ness that actually benefits from a couple of bum notes, allowing an appealing vulnerability to shine through. I have to admit, that I'm a bit curious as to how that last song would have sounded with the production toned down just a bit, having only the vocal and guitar speak alone. Still, it's a captivating way to end the album. And that very approach is showcased earlier on with Snowdrift, a beautifully engaging song that causes me to hit the repeat button whenever it's played.

My Blacks Don't Match is a significant step up from Hit Or Miss, which was a good album, but it perhaps overstayed its welcome by a few songs. This one feels just right, length wise, and Darren's desire to step out of his comfort zone on a couple of the tracks is an inspired move that I hope he continues to cultivate on future releases.

My Blacks Don't Match will be released officially in March, but a downloadable version is available now at digstation.com.

Above photo by Alison Grippo

Myspace: Darren Gaines and the Key Party

Other stuff:

Local electro-pop dance sensation Green Go have just released a bunch of new remixes which are available for free download over here. Admittedly, dance music always takes a little while to register with me personally, and this goes double for remixes, but I really like what these guys have done here, providing interesting versions of songs by Born Ruffians, The D'Urbervilles, Rural Alberta Advantage, Gentlemen Reg and Women. [Myspace: Green Go]

If you haven't already picked up your tickets for Flight Of The Conchords at Massey Hall, well it looks like you're out of luck. Sold out. The only reason that I mention this here is because, even though I think that they're all kinds of hillarious, I personally could not justify spending that kind of cash on a novelty act. There's still tickets left for great bands like Bat For Lashes (Mod Club, April 25th, $15), Enter The Haggis (Mod Club, March 17th, $15) and A.C. Newman (Lee's Palace, March 11th, $15) but the overplayed (yet understandably delightful) FOTC is completely sold out. What kind of a bizarro world are we living in anyways? [Myspaces: Flight of the Conchords; Bat For Lashes; Enter The Haggis; A.C. Newman]

One of my most anticipated releases of the year is The Hazards Of Love, the upcoming rock opera by The Decemberists. They already displayed a little prog love on their last album with songs like The Island and The Crane Wife Parts 1, 2 & 3, but this 17 song suite sounds like it's going to be deliciously self-indulgent. Personally, I can't wait. The band plans on touring the album in its entirety, just like Pink Floyd did with The Wall, and Genesis did with The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, and The Who did with..., well, you get the idea. Tour dates (no Toronto yet) and other info are on Pitchfork. [Myspace: The Decemberists]

Brian Jonestown Massacre guitarist Matthew Tow's other neo-psychedelic project The Lovetones are set to release Dimensions, their fourth studio album, stateside on February 24th. How this affects us here in Canada, I'm not sure, but from what I've heard, the album is a little bit more in line with what I love about the BJM world, as opposed to their very confusing last album, My Bloody Underground, which I did not get at all. You can download the newest Lovetones single Journeyman by right-clicking and saving here. [Myspace: The Lovetones]

PJ Harvey and John Parish are interviewed about their upcoming collaboration project in the upcoming issue of The Stool Pigeon. An excerpt from the interview is transcribed over at The Quietus. [Myspaces: John Parish; PJ Harvey]

My old favourites Young Rival have recently performed a CBC Radio 3 Session. The session is available in a song by song mp3 format over at I (Heart) Music. By the way, the official website has a cool little guitar fishing video game on it. Addictive. [Myspace: Young Rival]

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home