CONTEST: Dinosaur Bones Prize Pack
DINOSAUR BONES - SELF TITLED E.P.
When it comes to the world of bloggers and music geeks, I'm just one fish in a massive ocean of pretentiousness, but when it comes to me and my friends, I'm usually the guy who recommends local bands to my peers. However, Dinosaur Bones have already done a pretty good job at making a name for themselves, and it seems like many of those same friends have been the ones encouraging me to check out this band for a little while now. Upon listening to their 4 song EP, it's pretty easy to understand why they've been able to develop such an immediate fanbase so quickly.
I've found it incredibly difficult to get the opening track Royalty out of my head. It thumps away with a steady danceable groove and includes a subtle vocal that literally sneaks up on you and burrows a hole in your brain, making it impossible to shake it off. The lyric "I'll be outside howling at the moon" is delivered in a mischievous tone that intrigues me and makes me smile. N.Y.E. is a mellower number laced with a visceral romanticism that contains all of the elements of a new wave slow dance, but still manages to impress upon repeat listenings. Point Of Pride is also quite melancholic in its delivery, although it makes good use of the build up effect in order to lift the song into the sonically shoegazed atmosphere. The EP ends with My Divider, which musically reminds me a bit of The Smiths, particularly in the Andy Rourke-like melodically structured bassline, while the vocals actually sound a bit like Hot Hot Heat's Steve Bays. The song clocks in at 5:17, but personally, I think that if the ringing guitars at the outro droned on for another couple of minutes, the song would have been even more epic than it already is. The more I listen to it, the more I love this song.
For a debut EP, Dinosaur Bones show a lot of promise and if their upcoming full length is injected with just a little bit more energy, than this band is going to be tough to beat. From what I've heard about their live performances, they are already well on their way to doing that, since apparently, their show is one of the most energetic displays in town.
Myspace: Dinosaur Bones
Photo by Mike Juno
CONTEST: Dinosaur Bones is celebrating their one year of existence at The Horseshoe Tavern on Saturday January 17th and it would be absolutely criminal for you not to be there. They'll be sharing the bill with The Junction, Black Hat Brigade and The Paint Movement. So, courtesy of Audio Blood Media, I've got one pretty cool Dinosaur Bones prizepack to give away. It contains the following:
1) A pair of passes to the show at The Horseshoe Tavern on January 17th
2) A copy of the Dinosaur Bones' debut EP
3) A few ultra-cool collectable Dinosaur Bones pins
4) A limited edition show poster
If you would like to win this prize pack, then simply send me an email at quadb2001 [at] gmail [dot] com (take note of the slightly new gmail addy) with "I Want To Dig Up Some Dinosaur Bones" in the subject line, and your full name in the body.
Contest is now closed. Thanks to all who entered.
Labels: concert ticket giveaway, contest, dinosaur bones, ep review, horseshoe tavern
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home