Friday, December 19, 2008

TICKET GIVEAWAY CONTEST: Whale Tooth, Amos The Transparent and Bellewoods @ Rancho Relaxo

Whale Tooth - Self Titled EP













So I'm sitting here listening to an advance copy of the upcoming debut EP by a local band called Whale Tooth, and I'm immediately blown away by the band's sophisticated ability to craft a clever and danceable pop song. Their immediate appeal makes their "just over a year" existence come across as a cleverly fabricated myth since they sound like a band with experience on their side. The diversity of the Toronto music scene is already very impressive, and this local band is already making waves as a stellar addition to the scene.

The EP opens with Hibernation Song, a delicious refurbishing of a late 70's new wave sound; the kind that Elvis Costello and Joe Jackson used to present with perfection. Track two is Six Billion, a power pop song that showcases very strong male / female vocals that shy away from the usual romantic interplay and just keep things light and fun. Sleepwalking is a mellower song, where Elise LeGrow's vocals sound eerily similar to Monique Powell (of 90's ska-punkers Save Ferris), albeit displayed with a sultrier, jazzier lilt. Speaking of that ska punk sound, Marlboro Beach Bonanza starts to dip into that territory a little bit, creating a vibe that is sure to get the crowds dancing like wild at the local dive bar or beach party. And the EP goes out with a bang by ending with Clever, a song that is exactly that, both lyrically and in the infectious way that it presents itself. I can't wait to hear that one in a live setting as well, especially since I'm sure that it too will get the crowds dancing around all hyperactive-like.

In an indie world that has a tendency to take itself too seriously at times, it's exciting to come across a band that remembers first and foremost that music is supposed to be entertaining. Lately the local scene has been cranking out a few bands that take this idea to heart, and I believe that Whale Tooth has embraced this idea, and added their own unique twist to it. With their recent addition to the Hi Hat Recordings roster, I predict big things for Whale Tooth in 2009.

Myspace: Whale Tooth
Download: 6 Billion mp3


Above photo from myspace

CONTEST: Whale Tooth and Bellewoods have the incredible privilege of opening for Amos The Transparent at Rancho Relaxo on Friday January 2nd, 2009. Bellewoods is a band that I still have never gotten around to hearing, but some of my friends whose musical tastes I highly respect have been singing their praises quite frequently over the past year. And I'm sure that if you've ever been to my blog before, then you're quite familiar with my views on Amos The Transparent. In short, pure freakin' gold! So this show is going to be great, guaranteed!

Courtesy of Audio Blood Media, I've got a pair of passes to the show to give away. To enter, email me at quadb2001 [at] hotmail [dot] com (with the at's and dot's filled in properly) with "I Want Whale Tooth" in the subject line and your full name in the body. Obviously the only stipulation is that you must live somewhere near Toronto so as to be able to physically attend the show.

Contest is now closed. Congrats to David for winning the tix and thanks to all who entered.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home