Sunday, November 30, 2008

'Sup In December

Generally speaking, December is the time of the year where I put the brakes on with regards to my concert going and take a bit of a well deserved breather. According to my Concerts 2008 Flickr Set, I've seen approximately 130 different bands this year, and the potential to see tons more is definitely available to me for the month of December. However, priorities, priorities kids, and I'm probably going to limit it to only 2 or 3 shows this month in order to get myself all geared up for the big '09! I am only human after all. Still, the possibilities are just shy of astronomical and without further ado, let's lunge into my monthly list of what's going on's, shall we?

On Tuesday December 2nd, you can enjoy a chilled out evening of female singer songwriter pop fare at The Supermarket as Wendy Leung, Melissa Dalton and Lara Martin tinkle the ivories for our musical enjoyment. (I'm actually assuming that there will be some piano playing although for all I know it may be an evening of solid acoustic fun.) Either way, it should be good and it's 6$ to get in.

Myspace: Wendy Leung
Myspace: Melissa Dalton

Those of you who actually hang around me have probably grown weary of hearing me go on about, what I feel, is the undeniable concert event of the year: Neil Young (pictured above) and Wilco at the Air Canada Centre. I felt that this bill is so important that I actually went out of stadium concert retirement to dish out some green on a nose bleed seat for the Friday show. I think I've already gushed about this one enough so I promise that I will not mention it again until I post my review. The opening band is Everest and the dates are (as if you don't know) Thursday December 4th and Friday December 5th. Tix range from $50.25 to $248.25 and I believe there's still some ridiculously expensive seats left.

Myspace: Everest
Myspace: Wilco
Myspace: Neil Young

Also on December 4th, Franz Ferdinand are making a rare smaller venue appearance at Lee's Palace in promotion of their upcoming disc Tonight: Franz Ferdinand. Tix are $25 but they sold out in about 2.5 seconds. You're surprised?

[UPDATE: (via
For The Records) Franz Ferdinand have now added a special all ages show on Friday December 5th at 3:30pm at The Masonic Temple. The only way to get tickets is through 102.1 The Edge. Details are here.]

Myspace: Franz Ferdinand

On December 5th, Rancho Relaxo is promoting a pretty solid bill featuring a couple of my favourite locals, namely Oh No Forest Fires and Bass Lions. Add Mr. Brett Caswell to the bill and you've got yourself a show that should not be missed. That is unless you're at ACC with Neil Young and Wilco. Sorry, did I mention that again? Entrance is $5 with a canned food item or $7 without.

Myspace: Oh No Forest Fires
Myspace: Bass Lions
Myspace: Brett Caswell

There is literally tons of stuff going on Saturday December 6th. First of all, the band that has provided us with my favourite local release of the year Quest For Fire, is making an instore appearance at Sonic Boom. They're on at 5pm and, of course, it's free.

Myspace: Quest For Fire

If raspy voiced, raunchy country is your thing, then you should be checking out Martha Wainwright at Danforth Music Hall on December 6th. Tix are $27.50.

Myspace: Martha Wainwright

Also on December 6th, is more local indie goodness at Sneaky Dee's with The Coast, The Bicycles, David Martell and The Elwins. Should be a fun show. $10.

Myspace: The Coast
Myspace: The Bicycles
Myspace: David Martell
Myspace: The Elwins

I will definitely be at Sneaky Dee's a few days later on Tuesday December 9th when Rural Alberta Advantage and Still Life Still join Australia's Rudely Interrupted for a show that I anticipate will be one of the most energetic shows of the year. Tix are $8 at the door but I currently have a contest going on where you can win tickets to the show as well as CD's by the RAA and Rudely Interrupted. Contest details are here.

Myspace: Rural Alberta Advantage
Myspace: Still Life Still
Myspace: Rudely Interrupted

Also on December 9th is 80's MTV sensations Duran Duran at the Air Canada Centre. "Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand..." Admit it, that's a heckuva song. Tix range from $42.50 - $149.50.

Myspace: Duran Duran

It pains me to have to miss the next one, but finances and the inability to clone myself makes it impossible to be at The Opera House on December 9th when Mercury Rev comes around in support of Snowflake Midnight and their free mp3 release Strange Attractor. To pour salt in the wound, Dean and Britta are the openers, whom I already saw earlier this year but still... $21.50

Myspace:
Mercury Rev
Myspace: Dean and Britta

Stars are playing three nights at Queen Elizabeth Centre on December 11th, 12th, and 13th and these shows are guranteed to sell out if they haven't already done so. $29.50

Myspace:
Stars

OK, the next one is pretty awesome. I haven't talked about Love Is All on my blog before but they're another in a long line of amazing bands out of Sweden. However they fall more into the dance infused new wave pop category as opposed to the simple sweet twee renderings of most of the other Swedish exports that I tend to go on about. They're at The Horseshoe on Thursday December 11th in support of A Hundred Things Keep Me Up At Night. Joining them is New York's Crystal Stilts and Toronto's very own Tropics. $11.50 adv; $13 door

Myspace: Love Is All
Myspace: Crystal Stilts
Myspace: Tropics

Also on Thursday December 11th is The Craft Economy's CD release party for their excellent new release The Craft Economy Is On Your Side. Come and experience one of the best live bands our city has to offer at Sneaky Dee's with Whale Tooth and Provincial Parks. Cost: TBA

Myspace:
The Craft Economy
Myspace:
Whale Tooth
Myspace:
Provincial Parks

On Monday December 15th, guilty pleasure CSS is playing The Opera House. Tix are $18.50.
[UPDATE: (via For The Records) The CSS show has been cancelled. Refunds are available at point of purchase.)

Myspace: CSS

Tuesday December 16th
is the other show that just might convince myself to go to. It's at The Horseshoe and it features a pile of local bands that I really like. The Arkells whom I'm dying to see, We are The Take who I keep saying I should see but still have never got around to seeing, Young Rival who I used to follow around like crazy when I live near Hamilton but haven't seen for a while, and Songs From A Room who have just released an amazing new EP which I reviewed here. On top of that, the show is free.

Myspace: The Arkells
Myspace: We Are The Take
Myspace: Young Rival
Myspace: Songs From A Room

On Friday December 19th, Cancel Winter is playing their one year anniversary show at El Mocambo with Still Life Still and NYC's Rich Girls. 8$ with a canned good; $10 without.

Myspace: Cancel Winter
Myspace: Rich Girls

On December 19th and 20th, alt-country pioneers The Skydiggers are playing The Horseshoe with The Beauties opening for them, whom I had just seen open for BSS and was quite impressed. $20

Myspace: The Skydiggers
Facebook: The Beauties

Monday December 22nd showcases some more local indie action of the impressive kind with The Elwins, Invasions and Boys Who Say No at The Horseshoe for only $5.

Myspace: Elwins
Myspace: Invasions
Myspace: Boys Who Say No

Peterborough's answer to Brit Pop, Union City are back to play The Mod Club again on Saturday December 27th as the opening band for the weekly UK Underground Saturday dance party. I believe entrance is $15, if I'm not mistaken.

Myspace: Union City

And finally, what would end of the year be without The Sadies playing The Horseshoe on Wedenesday December 31st. They are playing two sets that night, with Blue Rodeo's Basil Donovan playing a set inbetween. Should be a party! $20.

Myspace: The Sadies
Myspace: Blue Rodeo

Whew! Enjoy your December everyone!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home