Clouds (That Look Like Things) - Hat Factory EP
I've already reviewed the live show of local up and comers Clouds (That Look Like Things) a couple of times this year, but now it's time to throw up a few words about their unbelievable new EP entitled Hat Factory. The boys are incredibly proud of what they've accomplished here since it was done completely on their own, from the artwork to the recording and mixing of the CD. The album is as phenomenal as their live show is which, if I were being honest, is something that I was a little bit worried about. You don't know how many times I've left a show with a new CD in hand because the band blew me away, only to be disappointed by the time I popped it into my CD player. And when I briefly spoke to synth and violin player Owen Norquay after the last show, he spoke of the EP with such unbridled enthusiasm that the Willy Wonka in me felt terrible about possibly having to break little Charlie's heart. Well, needless to say, I wouldn't be sharing this little anecdote with you if a bad review was to follow, (and generally speaking, I don't waste a lot of time blogging about what I don't like,) and the band has every reason to be proud of what they've accomplished.
The EP opens with a brief atmospheric instrumental opener before lunging into the excitedly synth heavy rocker Stardust, which conjures up images of my 17 year old self at a house party, flailing my arms in the air to the latest Cure song. The following song Weekend feeds on that same vibe and should be added to every party playlist right next to You! Me! Dancing! by Los Campesinos! They get a little bit artsy fartsy (in a good way) with Catclysm, where vocalist Darcy Pease takes his menacing croon and makes it even more maniacal by running it through a series of crazy effects while Kayle Donner rocks a steady thumping drum sound to great effect. The best song in my opinion though, is the slow dance There She Goes, which is augmented by a truly unique sounding electric violin that enters and exits the proceedings at well calculated intervals throughout the song, creating a mood that is as chilling as it is intoxicating.
The Toronto music scene is on fire right now, and other bands are already getting the attention that they deserve, but I can't help but notice that Clouds (That Look Like Things) are still pretty unknown in comparison. Although it's cool to be one of the first to sing their praises, I'd like to believe that it's only a matter of time before all of the local bloggers are also caught up in the hype.
Myspace: Clouds (That Look Like Things)
Other stuff: Franz Ferdinand is hosting a little remix competition for a song called Ulysses, which is off of their upcoming album Tonight: Franz Ferdinand, which is out January 27th. The twist is that the band isn't letting you hear the actual song, just different parts of it (i.e: the drum track, the vocal track, the bass track, etc.) so that "contestants will not be tainted by the direction and mood of the original version." It's kind of a neat idea. Contest rules and whatnot are at Beatportal. Oh, and their playing an intimate show at Lee's Palace December 4th. Tix are $25. [Myspace: Franz Ferdinand]
Believe it or not, there was a time when Genesis was the most interesting band on the planet, led by Peter Gabriel. This was before Phil Collins took over and decided that keeping things interesting and original just wasn't really what he was into. This week Rhino releases a 13 disc box set of reissues from the band, focusing on the very years that I'm talking about, that is, 1970-1975. If you dig The Decemberists, Radiohead, Animal Collective or Mystery Jets than do yourself a favour and check out this era of Genesis' musical output. [Myspace: Genesis]
Margot and the Nuclear So and So's new video for As Tall As Cliffs pokes a little fun at Dubya and what he is likely to be doing during his final days in office. It's up on youtube. [Myspace: Margot and the Nuclear So and So's]
The NuJazz Festival is taking place this week from November 13th to the 15th. The shows are being held mainly at The Revival, Supermarket and The Opera House. If I wasn't already so busy this week, I'd likely be checking it out since it's been a long time since I've seen me some live jazz. Dang, I love live jazz! [Myspace: NuJazz Festival]
CBC Radio 2 has just posted their list of the Greatest Canadian Guitar Players as chosen by their listeners and readers. No real surprises.
And finally, you remember that Bicycles Last Schmaltz show that I told you about? The one that was at Lee's Palace last Saturday night? The one that I couldn't go to? Well it sounded like it was the awesomest thing ever and I'm totally jealous of everone who was there. CBC Radio 3's Chris Kelly had a chat with lead singer Matt Becket about the show. [Myspace: The Bicycles]
Labels: CD review, clouds that look like things, franz ferdinand, genesis, hat factory, margot and the nuclear so and sos, nujazz festival, the bicycles
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home