Saturday, May 31, 2008

David Myles - On The Line

As I always strive to promote a little something for everyone, I'd like to take a minute to present you with David Myles. His style is a little bit jazzier and bluesier than the usual fare that I support, but I find his latest CD On The Line to be a fine deviation from my musical norm.

David Myles incorporates an east coast easy going-ness to his sound, making it very accessible. Having grown up on artists like Mark Knopfler and J.J. Cale myself, I find the breezy styling of his vocals and guitar work to be refreshing. The album opens with I Don't Want To Know, a mild rocker where David's voice is front and center. His delivery is laid back, which is totally suitable for the style of the song. Also contributing to that first track is Dave Marsh from the Joel Plaskett Emergency and Matt Mays, lending some guitar and piano work. Give You Up is more of a bluesy shuffle, while When Will We Learn discusses the hypocrisy often found among those whom we rely on for leadership, all accompanied to more of a slow jazzy beat. There's the honky tonk of New Friends and the slight boogie of Cape Breton (featuring Jim Bryson on Hammond organ.) Although I've been known to appreciate the rock, I think my favourite cuts on the album are the pensive numbers, namely Way Too Long (an ode to returning home after a lengthy journey) and If Today Was A Year (a little Carpe Diem number.) I'd say that this CD has a nice mixture of textures and moments, making it an enjoyable listen for a melancholy day.

Photo by Mat Dunlop

David Myles will act as MC for the Tourism Nova Scotia Event taking place at Harbourfront June 20-22. He will be performing as well.

He is also playing Hugh's Room with Damhnait Doyle on June 23rd. For ticket info visit www.hughsroom.com

Myspace: David Myles
Download: Cape Breton mp3

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home