Mystery Jets - Twenty One
OK, quick question: The Beatles: Which one is the superior album: Revolver or A Hard Days' Night? For most, the immediate answer would be obviously Revolver. It's more experimental, interesting, yada yada yada. However, for me, there are times when I'm in the mood for something that I can just simply bob my head to. On some days I prefer the simpler and dancier early Beatles to the artsier and fartsier later Beatles. Know what I mean?
How does this relate to Mystery Jets latest release Twenty One? Well, Twenty One may be a simpler sounding album, but less enjoyable? Not so much. As you may remember, the debut Making Dens (or Zootime depending on where you live) did not make any excuses for its slightly obvious prog like feel. The complex structures and the abstract lyrics certainly directed the album to a particular type of audience; one who was poised and ready to embrace its inner flower mask and inflatable pig (prog fans will understand the reference.) So for those who loved that album, the simpler straight forward approach of Twenty One may seem somewhat less fulfilling. But you won't find me seeking solace under my Rick Wakeman poster just yet. (I mean, hey, I don't have a Rick Wakeman poster. Gulp.)
In short, Twenty One is just as good as Making Dens, and depending on my mood, even better. Father Henry's influence is significantly less obvious on this one, and the band has decided to borrow heavily from the sheeny shiny pop of the 80's. (In fact, in one interview they claim to be influenced by Phil Collins, while their myspace says Hall & Oates. Either way, I say 'what the?') Whether or not they are doing this with tongue planted firmly in cheek is difficult to say, but it sounds like it is. And that makes the album a very enjoyable listen. Hideaway and first single Young Love both have a very Tears For Fears kind of vibe to them, with a slight lean toward a discofied Duran Duran. The latter song includes vocals by Laura Marling, adding an extra layer of sweetness. Some of the songs, like Half In Love With Elizabeth and Flakes, have been introduced to me earlier when I saw them perform last year. Although these cuts would not have felt out of place on Dens, even they make a little bit more of a forthright appeal. Behind The Bunhouse is perhaps the most adventurous song on the album, starting out introspective before building into a slight rockabilly shuffle (which reminds me a bit of The Smiths' Vicar In A Tutu.) Regardless to say, overall I'm enjoying Twenty One quite a bit, and although it's definitely what I would refer to as an "I have to be in the mood for it" sort of album. But when I'm in that mood, it doesn't get much better than this.
Myspace: Mystery Jets
Video: Young Love on youtube
Video: Flakes on youtube
Labels: CD review, mystery jets, twenty one
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home