Friday, March 28, 2008

'Sup in April? Lots.

I've mentioned to you all repeatedly that I'll definitely be toning down the concert going this year, but hey! I can't be a hermit or anything. And the month of April just keeps dumping too many great opportunities on me. Ones that I cannot pass up.

First let's start with what is left of March. I have a lot of other stuff going on this weekend, which means that I had to "just say no" to Saturday night's Basia Bulat, Katie Stelmanis and Amos the Transparent show. It's going to be a doozy, and from what I can tell, there's going to be plenty of blog coverage on it elsewhere, so enjoy reading about it, as I will now have to.

I will however be back in town Sunday night to catch another one of my faves in the all-timers category, Gary Louris at The Mod Club. He has recently released his first solo album following the break up of The Jayhawks and, lo and behold, it sounds like The Jawhawks. That's not a bad thing. It's called 'Vagabonds' and the title track sounds like an anthem that has been around for years. It's a significantly different listen than former bandmate Mark Olson's last solo release (The Salvation Blues,) in that Gary chooses to keep his country significantly more alt than Mark does. Both CD's are great though, which leaves me getting all anticipatory of their upcoming album together, entitled 'Ready For The Flood'. Which is funny because The Jayhawks just broke up. Whatevs. For now, I'm simply looking forward to seeing Louris provide for me what I assume will be a generally laid back evening; something that I could really use right now.

Portland, Oregon's Blitzen Trapper is at the El Mo next Wednesday April 2nd in support of Wild Mountain Nation. I've always liked them but I haven't completely absorbed that album yet. I'm hoping this show is going to force me to do so, because they've never let me down before. They're playing with Fleet Foxes from Washington whom I know very little about, but I am intrigued. At first listen I'm thinking a little My Morning Jacket like perhaps. Sounds good to me. And their name reminds me of another local band I like, who is it now... oh yes! Fox Jaws! And they're opening the show. How could I not attend?

I recently purchased my ticket for Jens Lekman at The Music Gallery on April 7th, with Katie Stelmanis. Most people opted for show number two on April 8th, because it also features Final Fantasy. I didn't, because I don't get Final Fantasy. I just don't. I know he keeps winning stuff, and everybody thinks he's so great and original, and I've got nothing against him but I just don't get it. I'm sorry. However, at this point all my ranting makes really no difference at all, because, due to popular demand, these two shows have now been combined into one. The show is now taking place at the bigger but still intimate Great Hall on Queen West. So I guess I'll just have to see what all the excitement is about. I am very very excited about finally seeing Jens though. I've wanted to for a while.

Do you remember that band Reily that I was borderline obsessed with last year? Well, as I mentioned before, they are sadly no more. However, most of them are now in a band called Bass Lions and they are playing at The Rivoli on April 10th. After missing their show a few times already, I plan on being there. They're playing with Elephant (awesome), Seedy Ease (wicked awesome) and The Monster Show (never heard them but heard they're awesome!)

I also managed to shuffle my way into the sold out MGMT show at Mod Club. I've heard some people say that they're amazing live, while I've heard others say, um, not so much. Well, I'll be the final judge on that one, thank you very much!

Saturday April 19th presents a little bit of a conflict of interest. I had mentioned before that I can't wait to see Destroyer at Lee's Palace. His new album 'Trouble In Dreams' is ahahamaaazing and I love it. However, that same night has Danny Michel at The Mod Club. I have not yet heard his new album 'Feather, Fur and Fin' and, although I like him, I have never LOVED any of his albums. So you're thinking then, what's the conflict right? However, in a very controversial move I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be opting for Danny. But why, you ask? This is simply based on the fact that he is hands down one of the best performers out there, bar none. I've seen him several times, and every show has been a slam dunk. Couple that with the fact that I haven't seen him now for over two years (other than his one song at a Neil Young tribute) and that my wife is guaranteed to come with me if I choose Danny, and all of a sudden, the choice becomes more clear. To me anyways.

And finally, another blast from my rockabilly past is in town at the end of the month, the always enjoyable Reverend Horton Heat. I'm still not 100% sure if I'm going to go to this one or not, but man, it sure would be a lot of fun, wouldn't it? He's also at The Mod Club for two nights on April 29th and 30th.

Whew.

Too tired to throw up a wild montage of linkage so here's all the myspaces where you can hear their stuff, k?

Basia Bulat
Katie Stelamanis
Amos The Transparent
Gary Louris
Mark Olson
Blitzen Trapper
Fleet Foxes
Fox Jaws
Jens Lekman (he bravely and admirably avoids myspace! Bwahahaha!)
Final Fantasy
Bass Lions
Elephant
Seedy Ease
The Monster Show
MGMT
Destroyer
Danny Michel
Reverend Horton Heat

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger BunkleLife said...

Look forward to the Blitzen Trapper review. Considering seeing them here.

10:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home