MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
OK, so you've likely already heard of and become familiar with MGMT. They've already courted just about every blogger and media outlet out there, becoming a veritable musical version of Winona Ryder, if you will. And like Winona, they've won all of our hearts as well.
They're from New York, and there seem to be differing opinions as to whether their name is pronounced "The Management" or "Em-Gee-Em-Tee." I'm opting for version two, because the more reputable sources claim such. However, all that information is really unimportant compared to the impact and sound of their music. Their first release 'Oracular Spectacular' is out on Sony Music Canada, an impressive feat for a new band, and the album is solid and enjoyable. The production is as flamboyant as their wardrobe, and the sound is somewhere between punk and disco. Yep, you read that right: punk and disco; the mortal enemies have embraced and created something substantial. It's almost as if Batman and Joker have joined forces to put on a Broadway play. The album opens with the first single "Time To Pretend," which is catchy and full of dancey funitude, but ultimately one of the weaker songs on the album. They have however, released a 3D video of the song, which is totally rad. You have to wear the red and blue glasses and everything. The songs that I really enjoy are the glamfully Bowie-ish 'Weekend Wars' and 'Pieces of What,' the goofy yet discofun 'Electric Eel' and the made in the 80's pop of 'Kids.' The one downside of 'Oracular..' is that, much like former tour mates Of Montreal's last album, the idea starts to get a bit too kitschy for me after awhile. This is still a good release to throw on the turn table from time to time though, and I'll bet they put on a pretty impressive live show (as their appearance on David Letterman demonstrated.)
MGMT will be at The Mod Club on April 15th. Act now, because I hear the tix are going pretty fast.
Myspace: MGMT
Purchase: Oracular Spectacular at Amazon.ca
Video: Time To Pretend on youtube
Video: The 3D Version of Time To Pretend.
Labels: CD review, mgmt, oracular spectacular
3 Comments:
I guess you didn't see my post absolutely criticizing them. The friends at Sony/BMG Canada tried to court me by offering me gear like tix/vinyl before I showed any liking for them.
From what I've read and from friends, MGMT is horrible live.
12:03 AM
Haha, that's hilarious. Well, I wouldn't be reviewing them if I didn't like them and what can I say, I do. I'm getting the impression that I don't like them quite as much as a lot of other people seem to, but I do think that their sound, while a bit contrived, is still a lot of fun.
5:08 AM
They Actually Put on a hell of a show.In San Diego's Indie Jam they actually were the first band to get the people moving.
1:33 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home