Hawksley Workman @ Danforth Music Hall
OK the snow is getting annoying. That in no way relates to the Hawksley Workman show last night at Danforth Music Hall but I just thought I'd mention it anyways. This was another one of the limited wristband entry deals that I thought I wouldn't likely get into, but once again ... success!
I've always liked Hawksley, but never in a "I've just got to see him now!" sort of way. He was always just one of those artists that I viewed as decent and enjoyable, take him or leave him. However many of my music loving peers have assured me that attending a Hawksley show would be a turning point, a major event in my life. His style of cabaret glam pop would be more than just another concert for me; it would be an experience.
And an experience it was! Hawksley Workman is the maniacal musical maestro of mayhem as he allowed us into his warped theatrical mind for a couple of solid hours. Appearing on stage wearing a bandana and little heart shaped antennae ear things, he scurried up to a set of really small drums and started the show. The band were all dressed as little people and watching them bang on their little instruments as if they belonged in the land of Oz, was hilarious. He played many songs from the new album "Between The Beautifuls" and well as some classics, although all of the songs sounded new to me. This isn't because I was unfamiliar with them, but it's because he put a real twist on many of them, making them unrecognizable at first until you started hearing the lyrics. The show switched around from the aforementioned kiddie little person spectacle, to folksy time singalong, to full out heavy rock opera, making this such a diverse night. It was easy to get lost in his voice as it is so powerful and commanding that there were moments when he didn't even need the microphone. He also played a variety of instruments as the night went on. From what the Hawksley diehards sitting with me were saying, the final third of the concert was his most rocking show to date, and it did rock pretty hard. Yes, as his fans already know, he is a performer in the truest sense of the word. I have to admit, that my friends were correct: this was not just another concert, this was indeed an experience.
Photos: Hawksley Workman @ Danforth Music Hall on flickr
Myspace: Hawksley Workman
Videos: Piano Blink on youtube
Purchase: Between The Beautifuls here.
Labels: canadian music week, concert review, danforth music hall, hawksley workman
2 Comments:
I was at Saturday's show, and he rocked!
2:09 PM
You're preaching to the choir with this one!
Thanks for the link(!) and the comments - particularly one the weirdness of the cyberworld. Good to know I'm not the only one feeling that way. It still boggles my mind that anyone actually cares - particularly cares enough to slag off what I've written. It's a weird, weird world.
And thanks for the Breeders review - am seeing them here in a few weeks!
(And feel free to be a psycho stalker comment guy - I'd be honoured ;)
9:10 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home