Saturday, February 02, 2008

Schuman The Human - Showtime For Schuman

As I've mentioned before, my little blogging hiatus has left me with a backlog of CD's to go through, but so far, my favorite of the bunch is this little gem from the UK's Schuman The Human. Combining elements of bluegrass, northern soul and indie pop, Mark Foster has created a fun mix that makes my dreams of Lee Hazelwood fronting The Modern Lovers an intense reality. The CD opens with 'Klutz' and 'Charlie Varrick,' a couple of numbers that smell like staples of the Americana songbook. Accompanying Mark on vocals is Chilli Gold, whom I've never heard of, but apparently she's the former child progeny of Frank Farian from Boney M. Just a little fun fact for ya! Speaking of fun, 'Tow That Line!' is another convivial little ditty, full of handclaps and delightfully overbearing violin. 'Coming To Pieces' is one of my favorites, reminding me a bit of Young Fresh Fellows, only with the silliness toned down quite a bit. The most impressive moment for me however, is track four entitled 'Dark Regrets.' It's my favorite song of the year so far (I know, I know, it's only February but still...) and Chilli's voice is pure elegance, harmonizing beautifully with Foster's laid back vocal demeanor. Apparently it wasn't an easy one to perfect but I'm glad they put forth the effort. Overall, 'Showtime For Schuman' is an enjoyable and diversified country-ish romp.

"Showtime For Schuman" is currently available on limited CD pressing of 1000 through the Ugly Nephew label.

Download: Dark Regrets mp3 / Klutz mp3
Myspace: Schuman The Human
Myspace: Chilli Gold
Myspace: Ugly Nephew Records

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark and Chilli are the best artists I have heard for a very long time, with delight I discovered them on My Space, Mark's voice has the texture and wisdom of Lou Reed and the music is a country bluegrass treat, I am only saddened that I can not make it to their London gig this month

6:58 PM

 
Blogger elarboldorado said...

Gracias por pasarme el link. Espero pronto verlos en México. Que todo salga bien.Mucha suerte.

1:21 PM

 
Blogger Queila said...

for god, this band ia amaaaazin'


*-*

Schizphrenia!

9:09 AM

 
Blogger Jacka [Killer Queen] said...

Great blog!!!

And now I can officially say that I'm a fan of Schuman The Human!!! =)

2:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the best slbum I've ever heard since few years...

great band

2:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home