Katy Mae - The Sweetheart Deal
Well it looks like I actually have a concert-less week ahead of me, which (I can't believe I'm saying this) is sort of a welcome break right now. My frail old body cannot handle this much excitement in one month. However, this gives me an opportunity to talk about some of the quality CD's that have showed up in my mailbox over the past few weeks.
Katy Mae's "The Sweetheart Deal" sucked me in immediately because it reminded me of two of my all time favorite bands, Uncle Tupelo and pre-Document R.E.M. Both of those bands have had a more than significant impact on the music that I listen to today. The former's "No Depression" is my "Nevermind," the pitch perfect amalgamation of grungey rock and old time country, while R.E.M. is one of those rare bands to release four perfect albums back to back, beginning with their debut. That's why the opening few bars of Katy Mae's opening track "Sister Mercy" just brought me right back. I love that sound, which some people call alt-country or roots rock or whatever, but to me it's just good quality rock and roll. First line "I've been drinking for a week..." is the perfect set-up for what follows. The song is above average bar band material, an incendiary sound that busts through the speakers with the intensity of a runaway train. The title track is for the Blue Rodeo fans out there, displaying that interesting combination of traditional songwriting and instrumental meanderings that make for a song that never gets the opportunity to go stale as it retains it's freshness with each tempo change. There are a few softer songs on the album too, which gives it some variety, but I don't feel it suits Philip Doucet's vocals as well as the rockier tunes do. Which is why my favorite song on the album is "Turn Down The Lights". A pounding drum beat and ringing guitar gets us started while Who-style power chords kick in to snap the elastic back before the song is released full throttle into a slight Dinosaur Jr. realm. Finally, one of the songs where I feel his delicate vocals do work is in the brilliantly titled "The Great American Incognitum" a heavy title with even heavier lyrics. Here's a sampling:
Don't get tired of moving on, the future is still out west,
I've seen stars in every sky that told me not to rest,
I see no need for warnings because the lighthouse should be clear,
It's one big ditch of highway for the graveyard to appear
Encouraging, no, but honest, poetic and heartfelt, most definitely. On this full length debut, Katy Mae is beginning where many bands peak. It'll be interesting to see where they will go from here. A very solid debut.
Myspace: Katy Mae (You can hear Turn Down The Lights on their myspace page.)
Purchase: The CD should be available shortly at their online store. The previous EP "The Lightning and the Sun" is available NOW!
Labels: alt-country, alternative rock, CD review, katy mae, roots rock
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home