Thursday, October 04, 2007

Steve Earle - Washington Square Serenade

I'm a huge Steve Earle fan. For some reason, this surprises people. I don't really get it. I like Johnny Cash, Ryan Adams and Paul Westerberg, which seems completely acceptable, but Steve is always greeted with a confused expression from many. I think it mainly has to do with the people I hang with. Steve had a massive hit in the 80's with "Copperhead Road," and I think for most of my friends, that's all they're familiar with. However, for those in the know, Steve has been the rebel in Nashville for many years, to the point that the 'new country' contingent fails to even acknowledge his existence these days. Which is totally cool with me. And if you've been simply stuck in the 80's and misinformed, and if you dig the aforementioned artists, then the Steve Earle bandwagon is something you need to jump on immediately.

"Washington Square Serenade" comes hot on the heels of his two most accomplished efforts, 2002's "Jerusalem" and 2004's "The Revolution Starts Now." I found that, although his latest effort requires a little more patience and time to get used to, in many ways it is just as enjoyable. The biggest difference between this and his last two is that this is a much more subdued affair, lacking the punchiness of songs like "Amerika v. 6.0" from "Jerusalem" or the title track of "Revolution..." The closest thing to an all-out rocker is "Satellite Radio," which contains some great percussion and a classic Steve Earle growling vocal. Although he isn't as overtly political as he has been, he still longs for change, as is showcased in "Steve's Hammer (for Pete)", where he vows that, "When the war is over / And the union’s strong / Won’t sing no more angry songs /One of these nights I’m gonna sing a different tune..." Finally, the fact that he's domesticated himself with Allison Moorer has him singing a love song or two, most convincingly on "Sparkle And Shine," which isn't exactly Richard Hawley, but I reckon it's as close as one could expect Steve to get without attempting a falsetto'd croon. (Could you imagine? On second thought, don't) He ends the album with a cover of Tom Waits' "Way Down In The Hole," and although I feel that Tom's was fine just the way it was, Steve still presents an enjoyable alternative. Steve Earle has never been afraid to try new things and shock people in the process. Here he proves that sometimes the most shocking thing you can do, is settle down a little bit.

Myspace: Steve Earle
Purchase: Washington Square Serenade at New West Records

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home