Monday, October 01, 2007

The Morning Stars - You Can't Change The World

I've been exposed to a lot of ultra cool toonage last week so I'll do what I can to tell you all about it but I've got to say that the week ahead looks like a busy one so the posts may be short and sweet. Or not. We'll see.
The Morning Stars are another great band from the Hamilton, Ontario area, and they specialize in the sweet organic musical sensibilities of some of the neo-sixties delights that have come our way in the form of Brian Jonestown Massacre or Stone Roses.

The album hits you like a punch in the face with the first song "Hearts For The Living," and it is the reason that the liner notes recommend that you play this loud. Your head can't help but rock and rattle to the shake of the tambourine as Mars Ivic's vocals sound reminiscent of the young Anton Newcombe. It follows with "Wrong," a perfect melody with a catchy hook who's sole purpose is to burrow a hole into your brain and stay there for the remainder of the day. I like almost all of the songs on the album, but the other major highlight for me is "All Coming Down" which again follows a neo-psychedelic path and a slightly funky dance groove a la "Peace Frog" by The Doors. Many bands have tried to capture the early spirit of rock 'n roll in all its lush and vibrant splendor. Some are successful, some not so much. Count The Morning Stars among the successful ones. I'm a little late to this party since the album was actually released late in 2006, and I've pretty much missed all of their live performances for the time being. They are however, working on the next album and there is no reason why this band should not draw a little bit more attention the second time around.

Listen: "Hearts For The Living", "Wrong", and "Don't Waste Time" over here.
Myspace: The Morning Stars
Purchase: "You Can't Change The World" at CDBaby
Video: Teaser for the CD release of "You Can't Change The World" youtube (Incredibly cool video. They simply ooze rock star mojo.)

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home