Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Joys, Slakah The Beatchild, Coconut Records, etc....

I've been scraping off the bottom of the piggy bank this week so I haven't gone to many shows or purchased many CD's or done anything really blog worthy so therefore, I've been keeping to myself. However, there's always something to talk about so today's post will be sort of a hodge podge of music related whateverz!

First off, I received the latest single by London Ontario's The Joys. I heard a song by them a few years back entitled "Do I" on the Insomnia Radio podcast. Back then they were called Popjoy, and that was at a time when everything I listened to was pretty much introduced to me through podcasts. I was living in Burlington at the time, and The Joys were playing the annual Sound of Music festival so I had to check them out. Their show was electrifying to say the least, and I still feel that Sarah Smith is probably the most entertaining Canadian frontwoman in indie rock today. Their new CD will be called "Unfold", and it's been taking a while to do just that, but I can be patient if the CD is going to rock my socks off as much as I think it will. The first single, "Soul On Your Sleeve" is very refreshing to me. When it comes to indie music these days, I'm always trying to listen for a new gimmick, or a new sound strategy. But as soon as the guitar smacked me upside the head on this one, I stopped searching and just rocked out! The Joys aren't interested in gimmicks or studio tricks. They just want to rock. I'm not saying the music isn't deep, it definitely is, (just listen closely to the lyrics for crying out loud) But first and foremost they just want to make us feel good. They've used their own music as therapy in their own lives, and I have a feeling that they'll do the same for many others.

Hear Soul On Your Sleeve on their myspace page.

I also received the latest single by Toronto's Slakah The Beatchild. You've probably noticed that I don't review a lot of R&B on this blog, simply because most modern R&B just leaves me cold. Often overproduced, usually a little too streamlined for my tastes, I just find that when it comes to R&B, I still long for the classics like Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and that classic Detroit sound. That's what makes Slakah's music such an enjoyable listen. He's constantly looking forward to the future of R&B by being heavily inspired by the past. He's a multi-instumentalist who has produced several other artists, and he's now taking the leap into crafting his own sound. The first single is entitled "Enjoy Ya Self" and I would describe it as equal parts Stevie and Marvin, with a hint of Ben Harper thrown in for good measure. Although I personally really like the simple 3:05 version of the song, the single I received contains several different versions, along with a sampling of his upcoming full-length which I believe is to be entitled "Soul Movement Vol 1."

Download: Enjoy Ya Self version 2 (featuring Drake) mp3
There's another great song on his myspace page called "What's This Feeling." Check it, yo!

I guess that I'm a little late to this party, but Jason Schwartzman has another great musical project in the works called Coconut Records. I tell ya, when he was drumming for Phantom Planet, I thought that they were one of the greatest pop bands out there. Unfortunately, the O.C. decided to use their song "California" as their theme song and I've got to say that the OC caused me to OD on PP. (I am however glad to say that I have NEVER actually watched an entire episode of the OC. Lookit how credible I am!!!) Well Schwartzy is back with Coconut Records, which follows along in the same vein of deliciously prepared power pop. I've only sampled a couple of the songs on his myspace page but they are definitely of the stick-in-your-head vibe. "Nighttiming" has a bit of a mock disco feel, another in a long line of newer bands that remind me a bit of ELO. He sites Canadian supergroup Sloan as one of his influences and this is very evident in his new single "West Coast" which is a straight ahead pop song. Despite his popularity as an actor, Jason has opted to go the indie route on this release. For now, besides the usual download sites, it is only available as a hard copy on his personal website, Young Baby Records. You can watch the video for "West Coast" there as well.

Myspace: Coconut Records
Videos: There's a hilarious video on youtube for "Nighttiming" that features Jason's brother Robert (from Rooney) lip-synching the song. He keeps messing up the words and stuff. It's funny.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

couldn't agree with you more on your sentiments about slakah. the kid is a genius, just waiting to blow up.

6:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home