Deadbeat Dads, Boxes & Bags and The Stables @ Rancho Relaxo
The first ever edition of Two Way Monologues Wallet Friendly Indie Showcase was a hootin' and hollerin' good time, featuring three bands that focused on a good natured "let's see how much fun we can possibly have" type of attitude that taught us all that one does not need to be snobby to be indie.
The first band on the bill was Deadbeat Dads who, like their name, are not meant to be taken too seriously. Lead vocalist Carlo began the set with a rambling spoken word piece that may or may not have been prolific, but was certainly a lot of fun to listen to. From there on in, the band blasted through a frenetic set that reminded me a bit of Ween meets Moldy Peaches. I really appreciated their whole tongue in cheek attitude, and I think they're the type of band that one should really see at the end of a long hard work week, because they are guaranteed to put a smile on your face. I've been listening to their demo CD all day, and it gets better with every listen. They handed it to me after the show. It was recorded on a simple Sony CD-R, with the track listing scribbled down in pen, which I consider to be very Daniel Johnston, which equals very cool, as far as I'm concerned.
Photos: Deadbeat Dads @ Rancho Relaxo on flickr
Download: Happy Destroyer mp3
Myspace: Deadbeat Dads
I had never felt more confused than I was before, during, and after Boxes and Bags hit the stage. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy them. I did. They just confused me, that's all. They played (mostly) instrumental music. And they yelled sometimes. And they held up signs with catch phrases on them. And they clapped their hands and chanted. And they laid down on the ground. And the lead singer wore a fake beard. And a couple of them had masks on. And a Blue Jays hat. And the guitarist with the cowboy hat had no shoes on. Or socks. However, all of this chaos and tom foolery would have been incredibly off-putting if the band didn't have the chops to pull it off and thankfully they did. Their playing was tight and their presentation, while completely schizo, created the exact mood that they were likely striving to create. Or at least I think it did. I'm not sure. Because I'm confused. I am pretty sure that I can't wait for the CD to be released though. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing / hearing them again as I'll bet that they are constantly full of surprises.
Photos: Boxes and Bags @ Rancho Relaxo on flickr
Myspace: Boxes and Bags
The band I was really anxious to see was The Stables. Let me explain. I don't really mention it all that often but I was born and raised in Ontario's virtual time warp, a city called Oshawa, or The 'Shwa to its townspeople. I haven't been introduced to a lot of good music from The 'Shwa over the years, simply because it's not a city that's generally known for its quality indie music stylings. I think Kim Mitchell's "Patio Lanterns" has been number one on the Oshawa charts for the past 20 years. (I'm kidding of course; pretty sure there is no 'Shwa chart.) Thankfully, alt-country outfit Cuff The Duke put to rest any notion to the thought that Oshawa was incapable of providing the indie scene with anything worthwhile. This is simply by virtue of the fact that, as Tony the Tiger would say, they're great! So when I started to hear the buzz about this other band from the Galahad, Glebe, and Gladfern district, I just had to check them out. (You have to be from 'Shwa to understand the triple 'G' reference, and even then...) In a word, they're fantastic! A sampling of their myspace selection could lead one to foolishly conclude that they are simply a novelty band, but that couldn't be further from the truth. They do play songs that are incredibly fun, like "ADD" and "Too Old To Skate" which has the wittiest singalong chorus I've heard in a while. But as the show carried on, I became more and more impressed with their ability to craft an incredibly well put together pop song. They truly have a gift, and many of their songs are incredibly moving and heartwarming. I also love that their band setup is as simple as they come. You've got your guitar, a tiny little drum kit, and a "standup" bass made out of an overturned wash basin, a pole and a rope. By this time of the night, the crowds were beginning to get a little scanty, but the band performed as if they were standing in a stadium full 'o people. That takes devotion and a real love for their craft. Next time they're in town, please take the opportunity to see them. You will not regret it.
Photos: The Stables @ Rancho Relaxo on flickr
Download: Too Old To Skate mp3
Myspace: The Stables
Labels: boxes and bags, concert review, deadbeat dads, the 'shwa, the stables, two way monologues, wallet friendly showcase
3 Comments:
For more great Oshawa bands check out The Champion Heartache, The Recroom, Trish Robb, Jeff Leech.... and that's just to name a few...
2:35 PM
Haha! And the pro-'shwa contingent kicks in! I love it! Appreciate the suggestions dude, and I'll definitely check them out. E-mail me, if you've got other suggestions because I'd love to hear them.
quadb2001@hotmail.com
2:42 PM
Another Shwahelian here to tell you there IS a whole heap of talented indie music coming from the area including The Micronite Filters, The Baker Muck Rattlers, The Heather Luckhart Collective, Dan Brooks and The Red Vineyard, etc, etc. Other alumni besides Cuff include The Mark Inside and Another Blue Door and I do believe a couple members of The D'Urbervilles called The Shwa home. Go Oshawa.
4:28 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home