Sunday, October 07, 2007

Coming Up...

So this is going to be one of those quick and tossed off sort of posts, but I thought I'd just fill you in on what I'm up to, and not up to, musically-wise, for the week ahead.

In the "not-up-to" category, The National, are playing at The Phoenix tomorrow night. I had every intention of going to this one since I've heard several reputable sources say that they have put on some of the best shows of the year. However, in my foolishness, I assumed that they weren't really that popular, and there should be no problem getting tickets closer to the show date. I snoozed and therefore, I lost. This one's sold out kiddies, so if you managed to get a ticket, let me know how it went. Or give yours to me. Whatever.

Neil Young is playing three dates at Massey Hall and the tickets are beyond expensive. So I likely won't be going to that one but, on Tuesday, I have been invited to the launch party for Borrowed Tunes II: A Tribute to Neil Young over at the Gibson Guitar Artist Showroom. I realize that this is nowhere near the same thing as seeing the actual Neil, but there are still going to be some performances from some artists that I'm actually quite fond of. Blackie and the Rodeo Kings, Melissa McClelland, Liam Titcomb and others will be performing the great songs of Neil. I'm quite looking forward to it.

I had mentioned earlier that the greatest local indie rock draws in the city these days come to us courtesy of Two Way Monologues. Wednesday marks the kickoff of a new series entitled Wallet Friendly Indie: 3 bands for 3 bucks. TWM Showcases have always been very well supported, often boasting over 120 or so in attendance. Wednesday's lineup at Rancho Relaxo is headlined by The Stables (formerly known as The Kent Boys), with sets by The Deadbeat Dads and Boxes and Bags. While we're on the subject, the next TWM Showcase #5 is extra-exciting in that it has none other than Patrick Krief of The Dears headlining. If you haven't seen him live, it's been recommended that you definitely do so. I hear his guitar work is insane! That show is also at Rancho on Friday October 19th, with Schomberg Fair and Obviously Five Believers supporting.

And finally, on Friday, The Horseshoe has a lineup that is so unbelievable that I can't believe it! It is a night of glorious Arts & Crafts wonderment as The Besnard Lakes are supported by Young Galaxy and New Buffalo. If you haven't heard "The Besnard Lakes are the Dark Horse" than you have been missing out on one of the most triumphant releases of the year. Same goes for both Young Galaxy and New Buffalo, the latter's new album being a very captivating album that I actually feel rivals Feist's "The Reminder." For those that don't know, New Buffalo is actually Sally Seltmann from Australia, who co-wrote Feist's mega-hit "1,2,3,4" from the aforementioned album. I had seen only a smidge of Young Galaxy earlier this year, but had to leave due to a mild case of nausea. I'm assuming that the problem was internal and had nothing to do with their performance, and thus I am really pumped about checking them out, ailment free.

More upcoming interesting shows that I may or may not attend:
Great Northern - Lee's Palace - October 17th
Scout Niblett - Silver Dollar - October 23rd
Rogue Wave - Mod Club - October 26th
The Sadies - November 2nd - Lee's Palace
The Sadies - November 3rd - The Horseshoe
Amos The Transparent - November 8th - The Horseshoe
The Weakerthans with Jenn Grant - November 7-8th - The Phoenix
Ohbijou - November 9th - Lee's Palace
The Pipettes - November 18th - Lee's Palace (rescheduled from what was supposed to be last Friday Night at The Opera House. If you already have tix, you can use them for the change)
Stars - November 26-28th - The Phoenix (got my tix for this one already too. Wednesday show. Way excited.)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

You continue to rule my friend. See you on Wednesday!

Also, I might just have Amos the Transparent playing one of my shows in the near future:)

12:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home