Friday, October 05, 2007

Cannonball Jane - Knees Up!

In grade 7 I had a music teacher who I thought was the coolest gal ever. She had this massive obsession with music that was very contagious, and she pretty much fueled and encouraged my love of music that clearly lasts right to this day. Along those lines, I imagine that elementary school teacher Sharon Hagopian has a similar effect on her students. The fact is that she may be Mrs. Hagopian from Connecticut by day, but by night she is the super talented electro-pop indie artist Cannonball Jane. Incorporating elements of Spector-inspired 60's girl pop, Motown, hip hop and garage, she has crafted a genre of music that is immediately accessible but entirely unique. Her first full length release is entitled "Street Vernacular." It was released in the U.K. last year, but was released in North America last month. She has quickly followed that up with an EP entitled "Knees Up!" which is very very catchy and there ain't no way you can avoid getting sucked in by her charisma. (Sorry, Mrs. Hagopian, I know...double negative.)

The EP opens with "Take It To Fantastic," a great pop song that opens with a killer guitar riff that quickly morphs into a beat heavy go-go dance party that inspires wacky head shaking and some serious hip twisting. "Slumber Party" is another great tune with a classic feel that I would suggest is very Dusty Springfield meets Le Tigre. That is followed by "Breaker Breaker" which is what The Incredible Moses Leroy would sound like if he was a girl group. That's what is most amazing about this release is that there is so much going on, yet it truly is the work of only one woman. This is a totally D.I.Y. affair, although it has the sound and feel of a full band. The EP also contains remixes of the first song, one of which was put together by none other than Beastie Boy Ad-Rock. Her music is guaranteed to garner even more praise than it already has by those who like their sounds sassy, fun and energetic.

Download: Take It To Fantastic (Ad-Rock Remix) mp3
Myspace: Cannonball Jane
Video: Daily Fix Feature on Cannonball Jane current tv
Purchase: "Street Vernacular" and "Knees Up!" at the online store

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome, I love this song.

3:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home