Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Amycanbe - Being A Grown Up Sure Is Complicated

The stunning debut album by Italy's Amycanbe was released yesterday and I think it's quite breathtaking. Their sound is simple, yet difficult to put into any particular category. Lead vocalist Francesca Amati has a voice that reminds me a bit of Chan Marshall from Cat Power, especially in songs like "Get Closer" and "Little Dog." I love that her vocal demeanor is of one who does not have any desire to try too hard, or to make a showy display of what she is capable of. She simply sings in a way that is appropriate to the song. Most of the songs stem from an acoustic setting, creating a lush yet stripped back feel. "Down Under" is a standout in that it's the only one that, to me, has a very distinctive Italian feel, as if sailing along on a Gondola. (Are Gondola's even Italian? I don't even know.) I also really like "Killer Bees" which delves only slightly into electronica, while remaining mainly in an acoustic indie-pop vein. The album closer "Heal" opens with a haunting piano and horn, giving the song a very breezy and jazzy feel. It sounds like a standard, along the lines of Gershwin's "Summertime."Hopefully, the band can get a bit of recognition over here on North American shores, because I'd love to see them live. I am confident that their sound would translate very well in a live setting.

Download: Down Under mp3
Myspace:
Amycanbe
Videos: Killer Bees youtube
Purchase: Being A Grown Up Sure Is Complicated at Dancing Turtle Records

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes gondola is italian.
and yes, amycanbe are great!

9:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home