Oh No - Dr. No's Oxperiment
I realize that me recommending a hip hop album is sort of like Ben Affleck recommending a good movie script, but based on my limited knowledge about this specific genre, I have to say that "Dr. No's Oxperiment" by Oh No is pretty outstanding. Generally speaking, if I read a few good reviews about a release from reputable sources, I'll almost always give it the time of day. This CD has received very favorable reviews in Pitchfork, Gorilla Vs Bear and Soundscapes, so I figured that it was at least worth a listen. I never thought the worlds of 70's psych, progressive funk and acid rock would morph with the world of hip hop but I guess that shows just how gullible I am when it comes to that genre. Apparently it's been doing that for years. But Oh No has even stepped it up a notch in this area. "Dr. No's Oxperiment" is 28 tracks of instrumental beats and samples, incorporating clips of psychedelic pop from Greece, Turkey, Italy and Lebanon. Every song is less than two minutes long, and he even throws in a few movie clips as well as snippets from an Italian movie soundtrack to make this a truly invigorating experience. Separately the songs may seem a bit scattered, but if you listen to the CD as one simultaneous piece of work, (it may contain 28 tracks, but it is only 39 minutes long,) you will be mesmerized by what the Stones Throw label describes as "an audio tour of Turkish, Lebanese, Greek & Italian psyche funk: chopped, flipped & ripped."
Download: Heavy mp3
Myspace: Oh No
Purchase: Dr. No's Oxperiment at Amazon.ca
Labels: CD review, dr. no's oxperiment, hip hop, madlib, oh no, stones throw
5 Comments:
I like the sample track.
Word to Big Bird�
12:57 PM
Word ta huh? Like I said, I'm not up on all tha hip hop lingo!!!
All kidding aside though, this is the CD I've listened to the most this past week, which is something I never thought I'd say about a hip hop record. But it really is quite phenomenal!
Peace out!
2:32 PM
found this at http://contrastream.com
if you liked this I'd recommend J-Dillas Donuts. Influenced by Oh No's brother Madlib but with legendary drums of Dilla.
5:44 PM
thanks for the recommendation livestock. like i said, hip hop is a genre i know very little about, and to be honest, my interest in it is minimal. but i'm definitely not closed minded and if it floats my boat, that's all that matters. i'll check it.
6:04 PM
thanks for this. also check out this guy's project.
Guess what movie he sampled from.
http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/20005
9:57 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home