Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Songs From A Room and other weekend festivities.

This weekend looks like it's going to be another wacky unbalanced trio of live events for yours truly, so in preparation, I should get some rest and keep this post relatively brief. We'll see how that goes.

Pictured above is a local Toronto band called Songs From A Room. I really don't know all that much about them but I throughly enjoy the songs they've got posted up on their myspace page. They have a super solid heavy rock vibe with a vocalist shriek that could strip the paint off a building ... with ... several coats ... of paint ... on ... it. I'm so tired that even my analogies aren't flowing as freely as I would like. However I think you get the point. They're playing a free show this Monday August 27th at The Horseshoe in support of their new CD, which is to be released that same day. I guarantee that I'll be returning from that show with a more thorough (and articulate) review.

Myspace: Songs From A Room

Sunday night is the Camera Obscura show. I had already seen them once this year and enjoyed it very much. I figured that it wasn't necessary to see them again but a) my wife really wanted to go and 2) The Last Town Chorus is the opening act. That's an incredible double bill, and there is no way I could miss this one. The last time I saw TLTC I was feeling a little bit under the weather and sadly didn't get the full impact. I'm anticipating a more enjoyable show this time around. The downside is that they're playing at The Phoenix or, as I like to call it, big sweaty dumb stupid town. Hopefully my wife and I will be able to get up all good and close so that we can see something. The Phoenix isn't really designed for people under a billion feet tall.

Download:
Camera Obscura:
If Looks Could Kill mp3 / Let's Get Out Of This Country mp3
The Last Town Chorus: Modern Love mp3 / Oregon mp3

Myspace: Camera Obscura / The Last Town Chorus

Videos:
Camera Obscura: Lloyd I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken youtube
The Last Town Chorus: Modern Love youtube

And to start things off, we're heading to The Ex for the first time in forever years. I have to admit that the thought of cotton candy and a discofied dog show doesn't exactly thrill me as it once might have, but the real draw for me this Saturday is the fact that Sloan will be playing with The Golden Dogs at Exhibition Place for what, I believe, is no extra cost. Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure that I'm right. However if I'm wrong, and you do choose to quote me, I'll deny it. Either way, it's been a dang long time since I've seen the boys in my favorite all time Canadian band play live, and their last album was their best in 10 years so it's bound to be a stellar show. The Golden Dogs are great too, and their brand of sunny ultra-hip power pop will complement the Sloan gang nicely.

Stream:
Sloan:
Never Hear The End Of It (full album)
The Golden Dogs: Big Eye Little Eye (full album)

Myspace: Sloan / The Golden Dogs

Videos:
Sloan: Flying High Again (Super 8 Film) youtube
Sloan: I've Gotta Try youtube
Sloan: Where's Jay? (Funniest. Video. Ever.) youtube
The Golden Dogs: Construction Worker youtube
The Golden Dogs: Never Meant Any Harm youtube

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home