Sloan w/The Golden Dogs @ CNE Bandshell
I keep getting older but the Sloan fans just stay the same age. Those were my initial thoughts while attending the show at The Ex yesterday. I'm up front standing next to a group of young 'uns who apparently all met each other via the Sloan message board and I was immediately awed by how my favorite Canadian rockers are still able to draw a young crowd despite having been around for over 15 years. Many of them were approximately the same age that I was when I first cranked "Underwhelmed" from the crappy speakers of my first crappy car. Of course, if you've seen them perform, you know why the kids are alright! I think the days of a Sloan show being somewhat of a hit or miss affair are long gone. The band was tight, solid and more fun than it should be legal to have on such a miserable day, as it was yesterday. The fact that they're currently performing songs from "Never Hear The End Of It" also helps, seeing as this is easily their best release in years. The newer songs elicit the same hyperactive cheers as the old ones do, and they threw out a generous mix of both. Because their latest CD has such a huge whack of contributions from Andrew, he was also able to step out from the drum kit on more than one occasion to take center stage, even playing "People Of The Sky" which made me positively giddy. Patrick and Jay also seemed to be in high spirits, doing all the rock star riffing required to put on a solid show. When Chris asked Patrick how fast he can go, you knew they were about to lunge into the wicked spazzfest of "HFXNSHC,"which sounded out of control live! And then there's Chris. He was in full 100% pure Canadian ham mode, mugging for the cameras, stage kicking all rock star like, impersonating Bowzer from Sha-Na-Na and generally putting on a fun show, as usual. Sloan has proved once again that, although there may be other Canadian bands that get more recognition, both here and south of the border, when it comes to the sheer spirit of rock 'n roll, there is no other band currently in existence, Canadian or otherwise, that holds a candle to the boys in "Slo-oooo-aaaannnnn!"
Photos: Sloan @ The CNE Bandshell on flickr
Stream: Never Hear The End Of It (full album)
Myspace: Sloan
Videos: Flying High Again (Super 8 film) youtube
I've Gotta Try youtube
Where's Jay? (Funniest. Video. Ever.) youtube
The opening act was Toronto's own The Golden Dogs, who apparently rocked the clouds into submission yesterday evening. It rained on and off all day, even culminating in a thunder storm just an hour earlier. But when The Dogs came out to play, the rain stopped, the sun came out and the band blasted through a 50 minute set full of hyperkinetic energy! Dave Azzolini refused to sit still, keeping the show going at a steady yet frenetic pace. As keyboardist Jessica Grassia regularly displayed the song titles on a stand out front, the band blasted through several songs from their latest release "Big Eye Little Eye." Some of the highlights were the band's sort-of breakthrough single "Yeah," the driving march of "Saints At The Gates" and their indescribable cover of Paul McCartney and Wings' "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five." The latter song had Dave going positively manic on the guitar, with a solo that refused to stop, causing me to sport the goofy spellbound grin that I tend to sport when I'm standing in the midst of greatness. I also want to mention, Taylor Knox: drummer: best. rock. star. ever.
Photos: The Golden Dogs @ The CNE Bandshell on flickr
Stream: Big Eye Little Eye full album
Myspace: The Golden Dogs
Videos: Construction Worker youtube
Never Meant Any Harm youtube
Labels: cne bandshell, concert review, golden dogs, sloan, the ex
2 Comments:
I'm one of those young'uns! nice review, you should have come and introduced yourself to us!
9:46 PM
Haha! Next time I will. I was actually standing next to the young kid that was running to meet the Sloan boys and get his picture with them. He was the king! He kept asking me to save his spot every time another Sloan guy would walk by :)
11:36 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home