Monday, August 27, 2007

Camera Obscura w/Last Town Chorus @ The Phoenix

Last night Camera Obscura were back in Toronto yet again, which enabled them to acknowledge the fact that they wonder why everybody keeps coming back to see them. "Suckers for punishment," they assumed. Of course this isn't true, although I actually wasn't planning on going to this one since I'd already seen them earlier this year. But my wife convinced me otherwise (as well as Megan Hickey, but more on that later,) and it's a good thing because last night's performance was probably their best so far. It was nice to see Tracyanne Campbell smiling on several occasions throughout the night. For those who have seen them before, you know that this isn't always the case at a Camera Obscura show. However, everyone seemed to be in high spirits, and that translated very well onstage. They performed more or less the same songs as last time with a few surprises. For example, they pulled out "The Sun On His Back" from the 2001 debut. They claimed to have not played this one for about 5 years and for the long time fans in the crowd, this was a real treat. I also enjoyed the slightly countrified cover of Abba's "Super Trooper." I never realized the song was so sad. Finally, the encore began with guitarist Kenny McKeeve doing his rendition of The Beatles' "Rocky Raccoon." Apparently he was required to do so at the loss of a bet, and the rest of the band just sat idly by and watched him, with huge mischievous grins on their faces. Tons 'o fun.

Photos: Camera Obscura @ The Phoenix on flickr
Downloads: If Looks Could Kill mp3 / Let's Get Out Of This Country mp3
Myspace: Camera Obscura
Video: Lloyd I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken youtube

Although I enjoy Camera Obscura, the real person I was there to see was Megan Hickey, otherwise known as The Last Town Chorus. The album "Wire Waltz" just gets better and better with every listen and Megan is truly a captivating presence. She also helped me to realize that The Phoenix isn't all bad. She stated that it has one of the best sounds of any of the places that she has played at, and I had to admit that the ring of her lap steel sounded pretty sweet. She alternated between 'hilarious' and 'deadly serious' with exquisite ease, keeping the banter witty but the playing emotive and charismatic. She even handed out Last Town Chorus bookmarks, jokingly grasping at the rock 'n roll virtues of reading! She promised to be back in town regularly which is exciting for me because I definitely plan on seeing her perform again.

Photos: The Last Town Chorus @ The Phoenix on flickr
Downloads: Modern Love mp3 / Oregon mp3
Myspace: The Last Town Chorus
Video: Modern Love on youtube

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home