Thursday, April 05, 2007

Cold War Kids / Tokyo Police Club @ Mod Club

I finally got a chance to see what the hype is all about when Tokyo Police Club performed last night at an all-ages (ugh!) show at the Mod Club. I was curious to see them because the indie blog and podcast world has gone completely gaga for these guys, but, to be honest, I was there to see California’s Cold War Kids.

CWK’s recent long player “Robbers and Cowards” is an excellent blend of many musical styles. Performing like a poor man’s Jeff Buckley and a younger, skinnier man’s Tom Waits, they put on an excellent show last night. Lead vocalist Nathan Willett alternated from centre stage to singing on the keys, and his insanely original voice echoed sweetly through the crowd. The highlight was during my favourite song “Saint John,” where Tokyo Police Club joined them on stage to pound viciously on various props of percussion, to the demented delight of all in attendance.

Download:
The Soloist In The Living Room mp3
Heavy Boots mp3

Hear more of their recent songs on myspace
Purchase “Robbers and Cowards” at merchlackey.com
View my pics of Cold War Kids on flickr.

Now for Tokyo Police Club. Their EP “A Lesson in Crime” has been nauseatingly salivated over throughout the past year by several indie music bloggers. The fact that it blatantly rips off literally hundreds of better artists that have appeared before seems to be of no consequence to throngs of teenage posers the world over. However, their show was quite impressive, and the newer songs that they performed show that the band is starting to develop into better-than-average songwriters, and for that one has to give them props. I’ve heard that their earlier shows relied more on gimmicks and general tom-foolery than actually playing well, but I think that they must’ve improved a lot since then, because their show was honed, tight and professional. Although I wouldn’t call myself a “fan” just yet, I am certainly starting to gain respect for them.


Tokyo Police Club will be making the U.S. television debut on “Late Night With David Letterman” on April 19th.

Download:
Nature Of The Experiment mp3

Tokyo Police Club are on myspace.
Purchase “A Lesson in Crime” at their online shop.
View my pics of Tokyo Police Club on flickr.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger 4indie said...

The Cold War Kids are being featured on mtvU:
http://www.mtvu.com/music/house_band/

6:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home